Topic: Starter "squeak" ????

TonyM    -- 04-06-2015 @ 11:53 AM
  Saturday when I started my 1937 Ford 21 stud 85hp I heard a "squeaking" like noise when I was cranking it over with the starter. Since I had not run the car in a several days it took a few cranks to get it going. When I released the button, the squeaking stopped. Sounded like "weeeeeeeeeeee." Not super loud but loud enough to notice.

When I got the car to where I was going, I shut it down and did a restart about 30 seconds later. No squeak sound.

I went over to the car Sunday morning for a ride and started it. A very brief squeak sound (less than a second) was heard when I first engaged the starter button but no squeak sound after that while cranking. Later on I engaged the starter with the ignition switch in the off position. No squeak sound was heard.

Sunday afternoon I went out to restart the car to see if anything could be heard. The car cranked over normally and no squeak sound was heard.

Can anybody help me with this? Has anybody heard this before in a pre-war Ford starter? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 4-6-15 @ 11:54 AM

cliftford    -- 04-07-2015 @ 7:41 AM
  I'm guessing the starter bushings are on their way out. As you probably know, there is no provision for lubing them, they are not supposed to need it. But they can wear out after many miles of use. Another possibility might be excessive end play, but this too would indicate excessive wear. I would replace the starter to be safe.

TomO    -- 04-07-2015 @ 9:44 AM
  My guess would be a weak battery or corrosion in the cables.

I would have someone listen and try to isolate the sound while the car is being cranked.

Tom

TonyM    -- 04-07-2015 @ 11:46 AM
  Thanks all.

Tom, the battery is fairly new and fully charged. The wiring is all new. The starter, on the other hand, has been on the car since at least the early 1960s.

78-730B

TonyM    -- 04-07-2015 @ 6:40 PM
  Just went out and started my 1937 Ford. No squeak. Starter cranked over normally and car started right up. Everything sounded normal. I have Joe S. phone number just in case. He rebuilt my generator.

78-730B

TomO    -- 04-08-2015 @ 7:37 AM
  Tony,

I chased a similar squeak on my 40 a few years ago. It was coming from the solenoid. I changed the solenoid to the one that I had been using for years and the squeak disappeared. The solenoid was not picking solid, causing the noise.

A weak battery, corrosion in the cable connections or any other condition that would prevent the solenoid to get a solid pick current could cause this problem.

Tom

TonyM    -- 04-08-2015 @ 11:47 AM
  Thanks Tom. I will continue to monitor and will stick my head under the hood while cranking too. Thanks all for the help.

TonyM.

78-730B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8389