Topic: Removal of 1946 ford oil pan from 1939 ford sedan

Bongo    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:45 AM
  Can I remove the damaged oil pan without lifting the engine or pulling the motor?

len47merc    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:58 AM
  Bongo - yes it is possible to do as I did this last year on a '47 59AB without lifting the engine or pulling the motor. It takes some time, trial-and-error, multiple lifts of the front end, lowering of the radius rod, disconnection of the drag link from the Pitman Arm, etc., etc.. Was able to remove, clean, paint and reinstall without damage but it was frustrating and time consuming. Don't recall all the steps and the ultimate most effective sequence to follow but it can be done.

Steve

TomO    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:05 AM
  I doubt that you will be able to get the oil pan past the front counterweight and the front cross member without lifting the front of the engine in a 1939 Ford.

Disconnect the chatter bars from the frame.

Jack up the front of the engine enough to place a short 2x4 under each water pump mount with the motor mounts removed.

Disconnect the front radius arm ball from the frame.

Disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm

Remove the starter

Remove the bolts holding the pan, you may want to remove the floorboards to access the rear most bolts and the chatter bars.

Drop the pan. You may have to rotate the engine slightly to raise the front counter weight.

I may have forgotten one or two steps, if I have I hope someone jumps in to correct me.

Tom

coup    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:25 AM
  Question? Can you loosen the bone at ball, lower some, gives enough on my 34.
coup

len47merc    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:26 AM
  Apologies - I had '1946 ford oil pan' on the brain when answering earlier. Have to defer to Tom on the '39 application.

For what it is worth,I was told by others on my '47 that removal of the pan without jacking or pulling the motor was not possible for the same reason Tom mentions on your '39 - likely would not clear the front counterweight. Undeterred the attempt was successfully made anyway BUT, as one of the last steps, the crank did have to be rotated manually to move the front counterweight out of the way to provide clearance to remove the pan. Once the counterweight cleared, the pan fell off into my hand (or on my head - can't recall).

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8381