Topic: what to do with my '39 fordoor

greginski    -- 04-02-2015 @ 6:53 PM
  well i have finally realized that i can't take it with me and that being buried in it, covered with concrete, would be stupid. none of the kids want it, none of them would even know how to gap the spark plugs, or for that matter what a spark plug was. so what to do? nice car, 98% original but not a trophy winner, although several plaques for best of this or that. don't want it turned into a rod. this problem must have been addressed before. donation to museum, foundation, ????

This message was edited by greginski on 4-2-15 @ 6:59 PM

TonyM    -- 04-02-2015 @ 8:07 PM
  Do what I did: I left instructions with my wife to delegate an Early Ford V-8 club member chosen by me ahead of time to sell the car for her. That club member should be informed of your wishes and trusted to follow your instructions that your car should not knowingly be sold to a hot rodder/customizer.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 4-3-15 @ 8:45 AM

TomO    -- 04-03-2015 @ 7:47 AM
  There is no way that you can control what happens to your car when you are gone.

Selling to a V-8 Club member will not guarantee that he will not resell it to a hot rodder or decide later to turn it into a rod himself.

Donating the car to the EFV-8 Foundation Museum or any other museum, means that they have complete control of the disposition of the vehicle. If they sell it within 3 years of the donation, they must file a special form with the IRS.

I am pretty sure that the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum would keep your car on display for quite a few years, as it is an original example and would fit in with their mission. Contact a Trustee and explain your wishes.

Tom

v8teditor    -- 04-03-2015 @ 2:18 PM
  Tom is correct, the Foundation would be delighted to add your car to its collection. Thought: You can add to your will your desire for the car to go to the Foundation when you pass. Provide a copy to the Foundation for their records. You can continue to enjoy and drive your car until its time. Donating a car at that time can have a positive impact on any estate taxes due. For further details contact Collections Manager Josh Conrad at the museum.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-03-2015 @ 2:30 PM
  Have any kids in your neighborhood that have helped you in the past with yard work or snow shoveling, or perhaps just interested in the car? Might be a nice way of getting the next generation started in the hobby. Give it to them now so you might be able to enjoy it with them.

greginski    -- 04-03-2015 @ 7:24 PM
  well thanks for the suggestions............thinking about a lamaye car museum or maybe local museum of industry, but don't think it would get the respect? there

also what i would like to do would trade it to someone who discovered '39 fords and would like to trade it for a "replica" 356 porsche speedster!

Drbrown    -- 04-03-2015 @ 9:15 PM
  woodiewagon46 .... your suggest reminds me of Clint Eastwood's movie "Grand Torino". Despite the rest of the story-line, the Torino had a good ending.

1934 Ford    -- 04-04-2015 @ 6:45 PM

greginski,

Forget the 356 Porsche Replica Speedster. It's a VW with a dune buggy body and only an illusion of a real Speedster. I've owned both and the real thing is awesome and the replica is a VW.
I too have cars I love and will have them sold after I'm gone. I've left reasonable instructions for their sale and hope whomever buys them enjoys them too. While I hope they remain stock, I can't control that. Be sure to provide for compensation for the selling agent.
In the mean time I'll take names of really interested parties and pass those on to my agent as leads.
Hopefully I'll out live the prospects, but nobody knows for sure. Only thing I know for sure is I'll use the cars until I can't or croak.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Grant    -- 04-05-2015 @ 10:52 AM
  Why not consider passing your '39 on to a new caretaker within the EFV8 club, via a classified ad on this site?

Perhaps there is a suitable member out there who would be pleased to own a nice sedan and treat the car with the respect it deserves.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8379