Topic: Thermostats

pinnsky    -- 04-01-2015 @ 5:48 PM
  I'm confused.I have a 59A-B in my 36. Where do the thermostats go?
Someone said in the head. Does that mean the center water outlet on the top? If so, how?
Thanks

kubes40    -- 04-01-2015 @ 6:13 PM
  The correct thermostats for your 59AB fit in to the cylinder head as you'd been advised. Remove each upper hose at the cylinder head and place the thermostat atop the opening. The correct thermostat has a slightly larger diameter than the neck of the cylinder head. Thus, when the hose is pushed back over the neck, it (the hose) will hold the thermostat in place.

Old Henry    -- 04-02-2015 @ 11:08 PM
  Here's a picture of the higher volume STANT thermostat and how it sits on the head neck with the wires I added to keep it from pushing up, turning sideways, and quit working. The STANT stat is sold by NAPA as part number THM 111, or O'Reilly part number 2962 which is also Murray part number 4157. All the same stat.

Drbrown    -- 04-03-2015 @ 9:17 PM
  Old Henry has a good thread on that installation method.

len47merc    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:44 AM
  Another solution copied and pasted from a year or so ago:

"Posting a solution not found on forums to address the problem of canting of stats in the top radiator hoses that is 'invisible' and has proven to be effective in multiple flatheads. This was given to me by a true artisan of flathead engine rebuilding that has multiple 990+ scoring Fords. His solution stunned me with its sheer simplicity but perhaps many of you already employ the same technique. Simply purchase/obtain a foot of Gates 24024 1 1/2" radiator hose (or equivalent) and cut 2 sections off of adequate length to fit ON TOP OF the stats and INSIDE the existing top radiator hoses to just reach the inner front and rear side bends of the top hoses just above the stats. This is a very stiff hose that is somewhat difficult to insert into the top radiator hoses but with a slight coating of coolant and a bit of ooomphh and creative coaxing will slide in square. Insert these sections into the top radiator hoses about 3/4" past flush with the bottom of the radiator hoses, taking care to orient the front and rear sides of the sections if necessary - my sections are 'square' which has worked very well and held position through multiple stat changes. Then install the top radiator hoses over the stats and onto the head flanges with perpendicular gusto and work the hoses down to the bottom seat of the flange (will require a bit of effort as the Gates sections will effectively be pushed further up inside as the top hoses are pushed down over the Gates' hose sections, stats & head flanges). Install your preferred hose clamps in the original locations and no additional hose clamp above the stat is needed - the solution is invisible for judging, etc.. For what it's worth - proven immeasurably helpful for me. Hope this is of benefit to others."

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-4-15 @ 5:47 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8371