Topic: 36 steering lock

40fordor    -- 02-21-2010 @ 12:54 PM
  My steering lock does not work properly. When the key is removed the wheel can be turned past the point where there is resistance. What parts are worn causing this condition? The key and lock work very well.

tudorbilll    -- 02-21-2010 @ 4:06 PM
  Do you see the external piece next to the key move.

40fordor    -- 02-22-2010 @ 5:35 AM
  I assume you are refering to shaft end next to the ON/OFF switch. Yes it moves to the left (IN) when the key is removed and is (OUT) to the right when the key is rotated fully clockwise. My lock is the late 36 with the OFF position down.

wmsteed    -- 02-22-2010 @ 8:24 AM
  To understand the question correctly lets sort a few things out;
When the switch is turned to the OFF position and the key-lock is rotated, does the "lock bolt" move inward towards the steering column?
If the steering wheel is not in the center, forward position, the cross bolt will not engage the collar on the steering shaft, however, a turn of the wheel should allow the cross bolt to engage the collar.
If there is no engagement of the bolt then someone has removed the collar from the steering shaft.
It use to be a very common practice to remove the lock collar from the steering shaft so the wheel could not be locked while driving down the road.
Believe it or not, this did happen.. A friend of mine's girl friend reached over and turned the ignition off on his '36 Ford, she then turned the lock and threw the keys out the window.... Not a good thing at 40 + mph.
I took my column apart the next day and removed the locking collar from my '36 Ford.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

40fordor    -- 02-22-2010 @ 9:56 AM
  Bill,
Thanks for the reply. The bolt goes in toward the colum as it should. When I turn the steering wheel in either direction I can feel it try to lock up but with only a little effort it will go past that point. This is really not a problem to me, I just wondered what wears to cause it to not lock.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=837