Topic: 32 gas tank cover removal

MICHV8    -- 03-23-2015 @ 7:14 AM
  ok, this is fun! I can't put a wrench on the rear spreader bar bolt as it is under the cover with little room. I imagine all the 32 guys are smiling, but what is the trick?

trjford8    -- 03-23-2015 @ 9:00 AM
  Remove the frame horn covers. They are held on by the bumper brace bolts and are also attached to the inside of the rear fenders.

3w2    -- 03-24-2015 @ 4:25 PM
  Perhaps not smiling at your question, but for sure at the advice above. Given your question, the bolts you are trying to remove are those that hold the bumper brackets, frame horn covers, and the rear spare tire carrier all together through the two holes on each end of the frame, which means that you cannot remove the frame horn covers independent of the other parts held in place by the same two bolts.

If you had a luggage rack cross bar or a very early rear spare wheel carrier, their ends would be threaded and there would be no nuts involved, but obviously you do not. It is definitely a challenge to get a grip on those nuts, especially the rearmost of the two. I've found that using a very short-handled open end wrench does the job. You may have to turn the bolt head on the outside slightly to get the faces of the nut lined up so that you can slide the wrench around the nut sufficiently to hold it in place while you unloosen the bolt from the outside.

MICHV8    -- 03-25-2015 @ 7:53 AM
  Dave,
yes, the covers are the issue. I've tried pressing a screwdriver against the rearmost nut as leverage to prevent it from spinning, but to no avail. I will grind down the horns of an open end wrench and see if I can sneak it in there to get a grip. I certainly need to get a grip! What an odd design decision and how were these nuts tightened at the factory is a mental puzzle...

3w2    -- 03-25-2015 @ 9:57 AM
  It is almost as much fun tightening them when you put the various pieces back together, including one or two tail lamp brackets added to the mix.

You are kind to describe this particular design as "odd" as it strikes me as downright dumb. Like yourself I have no idea how this was accomplished on an assembly line with its inherent time constraints. The list of dumb designs on '32s grows rapidly the closer you get to Job #1, which of course directly correlates with the numerous major running changes that took place. Notwithstanding, I still like 'em.

MICHV8    -- 03-28-2015 @ 6:37 AM
  Unreal...I had to make this modified socket to remove the driver side gas tank apron. It is a 6 point 3/4 socket with a large notch cut with one of the points at center. Then the outer casing is flattened from the notch back. This allows a little wiggle room to turn the socket so the flattened casing rests against the spreader bar. There is just enough room for socket wrench access. I can't wait to put it back together, yeah right. Maybe I'll get one of the neighborhood kids involved. I think that's probably who Ford used to design this puzzle...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8344