Topic: Hydrostatic Fuel Gauge Issue

rbone    -- 03-19-2015 @ 7:57 AM
  I am sure this has been discussed many times, but I did a search and could not find the answer to my specific question. My gauge was working fine, but I knew the backing plate on the gauge itself was badly corroded, so I decided to make a new one.

Fast forward - made the new one and the head unit is working fine (liquid rises and stays high with thumb pressure on the brass tube), but the gauge does not work when connected. I have blown air through the main fuel line from the fuel pump back to the tank and emptied the tank, etc., but nothing. So I am guessing the air line needs to be blown out.

Question - do I need to disconnect the air line from the tank to blow it out or can it be done with the line still attached?

Thanks,
Ron

keith oh    -- 03-19-2015 @ 11:56 AM
  It can be done with line attached to tank. Do not use air from compressor as it may introduce water. Use a hand pump, at least 25 pump strokes.

rbone    -- 03-19-2015 @ 1:11 PM
  Thanks. My son will help me, so I assume he should be able to hear bubbles once the line is cleared? Correct or no?

The tank is about half full. Do I need to drain it first?

Thanks.

keith oh    -- 03-19-2015 @ 5:05 PM
  No need to drain the tank. Since your tank is half empty there will be a couple of the cups exposed so I would guess you would not hear bubbles, I never thought to listen.

rbone    -- 03-19-2015 @ 6:00 PM
  Thanks Keith!

40 Coupe    -- 03-20-2015 @ 3:52 AM
  You do not have to drain the tank to blow the line out but the gauge will not start to work until the tank is empty and then refilled with some gas. If you open the tube to atmosphere, this is the way to get it to start to work. Before connecting the line on the rear of the gauge make sure the red fluid is EXACTLY up to the empty or zero level, this is your calibration point.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-20-15 @ 3:54 AM

rbone    -- 03-20-2015 @ 5:35 PM
  Thanks guys - get her working this afternoon. Hopefully this backing plate will last another 80 years.....

Ron

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8328