Topic: License Plate Restoration?

1935ford    -- 03-16-2015 @ 5:24 PM
  I'm interested in having the original NY plates for my '35 restored. Would appreciate member suggestions re. competent vendors, esp. in NE or mid-Atlantic regions. Thanks in advance. Roger J.

trjford8    -- 03-16-2015 @ 6:51 PM
  Are you a V-8 Club member? Duane Wells advertises in the V-8 Times for license plate restoration. He's done 4 sets for me and he does a good job and is reasonable.

DD931    -- 03-17-2015 @ 10:24 AM
  I would also recommend Duane - contact info in V8 Times ad.

CharlieStephens    -- 03-17-2015 @ 10:39 AM
  Be sure to check with your state's DMV and see if they will accept restored plates, some don't.

Charlie Stephens

woodiewagon46    -- 03-17-2015 @ 12:16 PM
  Charlie is correct, NY DMV requires pictures of the plates and they require them to be original and not restored. That being said, if you do restore them I don't know how they would be able to tell from the pictures that they aren't original. What most people do is restore them after you are registered. I don't think that there is a policeman in the world that would wright you up for "Restored Plate".

lkeough    -- 03-19-2015 @ 4:36 PM
  I have had good results from various plate restorers, but the best is Shawn Mahaney of Restore A Tag in Odenton, Maryland; www.restoreatag.com; 410-349-7877. The 1936 New York plate that he did for me is perfect, and it was rough to start with.

trjford8    -- 03-20-2015 @ 9:21 AM
  woodiewagon46, as a retired police officer I can assure the police have a lot bigger issues to solve than worrying about restored license plates on old cars. I have not had any problems with restored plates at my local California DMV office. Since we pay extra to run those plates it's all about the money with DMV. They don't want to turn away anybody with money! I realize it may vary from state to state ,so anyone wanting to run antique plates should check their laws before they attempt to use them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8317