Topic: 1934 radiator/hood problem

JDBenner    -- 03-15-2015 @ 1:00 PM
  When I bought my 1934 cabriolet I noticed the front hood latch had nothing to latch onto. I bought a set of hood to grille catch brackets which were obviously missing. Now I find there is no place to attach them to the radiator as I recently saw on another 34. Otherwise the radiator appears to fit and the top and hoses look as they should. Is it possible the previous owner put a 1933 radiator in or is there a frame that fits over the radiator that is missing. I'd hate to have to buy a new radiator. any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

David J    -- 03-15-2015 @ 4:07 PM
  Post a pic of the steel side plate the bracket should bolt to . Sounds like they are wrong .

MG    -- 03-15-2015 @ 6:00 PM
  Attached is a picture of the latch bracket on the left side of the radiator in my '34. This should help you....

This message was edited by MG on 3-15-15 @ 6:01 PM

jims33    -- 03-16-2015 @ 5:18 PM
  It looks to me like your radiator is just fine. If I am seeing that picture right, the bracket holding the grill is supposed to be on the top set of holes.There is supposed to be another bracket on the middle set that has a latch part included with it. Macs catalog shows these parts.

JDBenner    -- 03-16-2015 @ 5:26 PM
  My radiator just has a plain flat side bracket with two holes, one below where a latch to catch the hood would have to be and one near the top. My question is can these side brackets be bought separately or are they an integral part of the radiator? I can see that it is riveted to the top of the tank, as is mine.

MG    -- 03-16-2015 @ 7:43 PM
  @JD - Yes, the side brackets are "an integral part of the radiator". I have never seen the side brackets sold separate from the radiator. The side brackets are soldered to the upper tank as opposed to being riveted. The only way I know of to get the side brackets is to find an old radiator core that has good sides. Unless you're a purest, it would seem to me that you should be able to engineer a viable 'kluge' to work....A picture of what you have would help....

This message was edited by MG on 3-16-15 @ 11:24 PM

David J    -- 03-17-2015 @ 5:53 AM
  Thought so . I may have a set . I'll look and get back to you .

3w2    -- 03-17-2015 @ 5:22 PM
  With respect, neither the upper nor lower brackets attaching the grille to the radiator side panels were originally riveted or soldered to those side panels on a '34 passenger car radiator. They were attached to the side panels with small carriage head bolts whose heads slipped into the key holes shown in the photo above and were held firm by the slot of the key hole. The nuts and lock washers were on the outsides of the brackets.

They were separate parts, not integral with the radiator, the upper bracket being 40-8094 and the lower bracket being 40-16628 with the suffix in each case different for four-cylinder radiators and V8 radiators.

David J    -- 03-17-2015 @ 8:52 PM
  Hey Dave , Well aware of this and I probably have a set of side straps that will cure this problem . Like I posted above I am looking for them . I have no documentation but I have always thought the radiators with the wrong side straps were out of trucks ? Dave

MG    -- 03-17-2015 @ 9:14 PM
  Yeah, we're (or at least I am) getting the brackets and side panels bass-ackwards. From JDBenner's description, the side panels on his radiator are not correct and he can't attach his recently purchased new brackets to these side panels - therefore, he cannot latch the front hood handles. I should have said "the side panels are soldered to the upper radiator tank" and not the brackets as 3w2 clarified....

I'd sure like to see a picture of what he has....

David J    -- 03-18-2015 @ 8:41 AM
  Found 3 so far . How does one end up with 3 LH's ? Anywayz they are all LH and I will keep looking . If you want one of these $10 you pay shipping .

David J    -- 03-20-2015 @ 1:11 PM
  Did find the other side . PM if you need these .

JDBenner    -- 03-24-2015 @ 7:04 PM
  David J. I'm sorry to take so long to reply. I've been out of town for a few days. Those sides look like what I need, so I would like one of each side. My email is jmbenner@cox.net. If you would let me know about payment and shipping I'll get right back to you. Thanks for all your efforts to help me.

John Benner
Phone (850) 678-6665

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8314