Topic: Fuel sending unit repair

flatfoot    -- 03-14-2015 @ 2:08 PM
  Will anyone tell me if the gas sending units can be repaired reasonably? I want to have my original '36 unit repaired. I have an after market(Bob Drake,Medford, Or) unit, but it reads 1/4 tank on a full tank. Thanks to all for your assistance.

fla48    -- 03-14-2015 @ 6:11 PM
  Are you sure the arm on the float is getting a full swig from empty to full? You may have to remove it from the tank to make sure it works properly before you send the gauge out for repairs. There could be a restriction inside the fuel tank for the float arm to get a full swing.

Drbrown    -- 03-14-2015 @ 6:48 PM
  Note above .... your sender arm could be hitting a tank baffle. I understand gauges and sending units can be rebuilt but I'm unaware of cost or who does it. (1) Can you access another gauge and/or sending unit to verify which item is not functioning correctly. (2) Be sure the sending unit is adequately grounded. (3) Run a temporary long jumper wire from sender unit to the gauge to verify the feeder wire is not damaged. (4) When testing the sender, move the arm very slowly or you may not get an accurate reading on the gauge. (5) per typical repo manufacturer's instructions, the length of the sending unit arm must be adjusted to suit the depth of the tank at the point where the arm operates. Good luck.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 3-14-15 @ 6:51 PM

TomO    -- 03-16-2015 @ 8:11 AM
  The 36 has an electric sending unit and they can be repaired.

I would get an ohm meter and check for continuity between the center contact where the wire attaches to and the case. Move the arm the full travel distance and if you get a reading, you may be able to just clean the contacts and use the unit. If you do not get a reading, it will probably have to be repaired.

To clean the contacts, pry off the top cover and spray the contacts with tuner cleaner and lubricant. I used to get it at Radio Shack, but they are out of business. Make sure that the spray can is held at least 12" from the sending unit, so you don't damage the fine heating wire. With clean contacts, the ohm meter should read continuity in all positions of the arm.

Next you will have to deal with the cork float. Make sure that it has completely dried out and coat it with Seal All, available at most hardware stores or buy some cork about the same size and coat it with Seal All. Check the float by putting it in a pan of gas to see if it floats.

If you need to have it repaired, Baxter Ford Parts in Lawrence KS may be able to help you.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-16-15 @ 8:13 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8311