Topic: gas gage problem

Hal    -- 03-13-2015 @ 10:25 AM
  Hey Gang,
I have a problem with my 36 ford gas gage. I changed the
sending unit about 3 years ago. While going through
my stuff I discovered I had also changed the gas
gage. Where do I start to find the problem. I don't
remember where I ordered the parts from either, so I suppose it could be either one. I am getting power to
the sending unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Hal

efv8    -- 03-13-2015 @ 12:44 PM
  Borrowing from a Forum entry from earlier this year from Tom O -- This covers the whole testing and where to get replacements:

First I would check out the gas gauge by grounding the wire at the sending unit and turning on the ignition switch. The gauge needle should move towards the full mark. If it doesn't, then contact Baxter Ford Parts in Kansas to see if they have a replacement or can repair yours.

If it does move towards full, you will have to play with the repro sending unit to make it work or if you still have the original sending unit, repair it.

The most common problem with the 36 sending unit is that the gasahol eats the varnish that seals the cork float. You can dry out your float and coat it with Sealall. This product is resistant to gas and alcohol and a thin coat can be applied. If your cork float has disintegrated, you can fabricate a new one and coat it.

The next most common problem is dirty contacts in the sending unit or a broken wire. These can be diagnosed by attaching the wire from the gauge to the sending unit and a jumper from the housing of the sending unit to ground. Turn on the ignition switch and move the arm of the sending unit from empty to full, very slowly. The gauge should follow the arm movement. These units can also be repaired.

Tom

Submitted by the Web Administrator

You can use the Search function to reseach some of your questions. That is how I was able to find this reply.

This message was edited by efv8 on 3-13-15 @ 12:45 PM

TomO    -- 03-14-2015 @ 6:18 AM
  Hal,

I would like to add that if you have a reproduction sending unit, you may have to bend the arm to get readings that are near correct. This is basically a trial and error process.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8307