Topic: 1948 H-series 6-cylinder engine color

rdove    -- 03-11-2015 @ 5:39 PM
  Does anyone know the correct engine color for an H-series 6 cylinder in a 1948 Tudor?

len47merc    -- 03-11-2015 @ 6:40 PM
  rdove - page 5-3 of the Club's 41-48 Ford Book, without making any distinction between the 1946-1948 6-cylinders and V8s, states: "These engines should all be painted blue".

Later, the book goes on to state: "Note, however, that oil pans, in all cases, are black". By black, satin/semi-gloss black produces the finish understood to be accepted as closest to original. I have personally spoken with the club's technical adviser on this point and obtained verification.

I could not find any color difference/distinction between the 6 and 8-cylinder BLOCK colors in my modest reference library. Several specific references to 6-cyliner ancillary items such as dipstick tubes, air cleaners, generators, etc., are spelled out in the 1941-48 Ford Book that in general follow the same (satin) black rule as the V8s.

Steve

rdove    -- 03-11-2015 @ 7:07 PM
  Thanks for the info. I have been told that the 6 cylinder was a slightly "brighter" blue and the oil pan, water pump pulley, oil filter housing, etc. were gloss black. I guess if it's close, I should be fine.

len47merc    -- 03-11-2015 @ 7:24 PM
  It is my understanding that while original Ford documentation specifies or references use of 'gloss' black, that the quality and nature of the paint used back in the day actually produced a finish closer to current-day paint's satin or semi-gloss designations (specific to engine accessory applications). I have never personally seen an award-winning EFV8 (or 6) that used today's gloss black for engine compartment components - all used satin or semi-gloss in their restoration processes. This doesn't mean to infer it may not be approved, just that I have never seen it and again was advised by the EFV8's technical adviser for the period that today's semi/satin is techincally correct for these parts.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-11-15 @ 7:27 PM

rdove    -- 03-11-2015 @ 7:30 PM
  Thanks...that clears that up. Would the frame be painted the same satin black?

len47merc    -- 03-11-2015 @ 7:54 PM
  Referencing the 1941-48 Ford Book that is my understanding.

Suggestion - investigate POR-15's semi-gloss black for your chassis/frame applications.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-11-15 @ 8:02 PM

rdove    -- 03-11-2015 @ 8:03 PM
  Thanks, Steve. Very good information. Clears up a big issue for me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8302