Topic: 1937 Body Number Plate

TonyM    -- 03-06-2015 @ 5:35 AM
  Interested in info on the Briggs and Murray Body Number Plates installed on 1937 Ford Fordor cars.

I have read in one of the Ford Books that the Body Number Plate was "...installed on complete bodies built by Briggs and Murray." Additionally, the 1938 Ford Book states that "Briggs Body Company" appears on the Briggs Body Number Plate.

It is my understanding that these tags were affixed only to complete bodies manufactured by Murray and/or Briggs. So if Murray or Briggs shipped body stampings or other body components that were subsequently assembled at a Ford factory somewhere else, then these bodies would not get a body number plate? Only completed bodies manufactured and assembled by Murray or Briggs would get a Body Number Plate? Correct?

Where was Murray located? Where was Briggs located? If these two companies were only in the Detroit/Dearborn area, then is it safe to say that cars with bodies that have these tags were assembled at Dearborn?

Looking for any information concerning these body number plates on 1937 Ford Fordor cars.

This is the body number plate on my 1937 Ford De Luxe Fordor. Is this a Murray or Briggs body number plate? Going by what I have read, I am guessing that it is a Murray Body Number Plate.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

78-730B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-6-15 @ 5:40 AM

40 Coupe    -- 03-06-2015 @ 7:14 AM
  I do not know if there is anyone that can answer all of your questions regarding the manufacture of the Ford body by Murray or Briggs. Some of the early 32 body tags indicate the Murray name and Detroit Mich. on the bottom. By 37 I can not find any Mfg. name on the tags. Some 37 tags are stamped from the rear of the tag with all the numbers and the lettering. some are stamped on the front with the body and model numbers. Yours has the model printed on the tag and the number stamped from the front.
I believe Ford contracted with Briggs or Murray to supply complete bodies and interiors, not components. So the body tags would appear on all. Ford dropped the body on the frame at their assembly plants and added the fenders, hood, etc.
I do not believe the Briggs name appeared on every year Briggs tag.
I do not know where Briggs was located but there was a lot of rail shipping going on (then as now) including bodies. So no matter where Briggs or Murray in Detroit, were, the body could be assembled to the frame in any of Fords assembly plants.
Lorin Sorensen Fordiana Series of books may be able to answer some of your other questions.

Lincoln    -- 03-06-2015 @ 5:40 PM
  TonyM
You might try: www.coachbuilt.com for info on Ford Body Styles/Body Suppliers 1928-40. There you should find a location for Briggs Body, plus their History.
Lincoln.

Don Rogers    -- 03-06-2015 @ 9:07 PM
  Tony, It appears that your cars body was produced by Briggs. The nameplate is of the Briggs design and Briggs built Fordor bodies for Ford. Murray generally built the open car and coupe bodies during this time period.

Regarding location....Briggs and Murray had plants in Detroit as well as other locations. Interestingly enough, Briggs occupied thousands of square feet of manufacturing space in Ford's Highland Park assembly plant during the 1930's.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8284