Topic: 46 Super Deluxe Running board edge trim

Fred O    -- 03-04-2015 @ 1:25 PM
  can anyone help me on this? I posted it a day or two ago. Need to know how to properly fasten the trim piece to the outer edge of the running board. It hooks
over a bottom flange, along the lower edge, and sits on a rounded top edge of the running board mat. Is is wise to use adhesive on it? Or? Any help would be appreciated, from someone who has restored a similar car. Thanks.

kubes40    -- 03-04-2015 @ 4:17 PM
  Adhesive was not originally utilized. If the rubber on your boards is fresh and correct, I can't imagine the need for any type of adhesive.

cliftford    -- 03-04-2015 @ 8:43 PM
  I had the same problem on my '48. the rubber on the lower edge of the running board had chipped away. I cleaned off the loose pieces, then put silcone caulk in the lower edge of the trim, then clamped it on the r. board and let it dry. It's still on there after 2 years.

TomO    -- 03-05-2015 @ 7:01 AM
  Fred, Are you talking about the stainless strip that runs along the running board?

Supereal has posted information on installing this piece in the past. I tried to find one of his posts about it, but the search only goes back 365 days.

What I remember is that the original ones are made out of a thicker material than the reproductions and that it is installed like you stated.

If yours does not stay on, it may be bent or damaged. Examine it carefully for any damage. If it is damaged or bent, the originals can be repaired by someone that straightens stainless.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 03-05-2015 @ 8:46 AM
  They just basically just kind of clip on. The bottom goes on first and then just use the palm of your hand to allow it to "clip on". They are sized so that the rubber running board covering makes it a tight fit. If the lower edge of the rubber or running board has been compromised then you might have to glue it on using silicone or some other method. Any pictures? I took mine off to have them polished and have been holding tight for ten years.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8281