Topic: door hinge pin removal

parrish    -- 02-19-2010 @ 10:33 AM
  I'm down to metal on my 39 and want to remove the doors for painting ease...are the hinge pins easy to remove with a standard punch? I know there is a tool to facilitate, but is it necessary? Am I asking for trouble removing the doors? Might as well ask: are the window regulators (with glass) easy to remove from the door? thanks!

tudorbilll    -- 02-19-2010 @ 10:45 AM
  I have used a small air hammer With a point or punch got it out real quick.

40guy    -- 02-19-2010 @ 10:54 AM
  Unless you need new hinge pins; I would take the hinges loose to remove the door, and paint the door and hinge as a unit. Thats what I did with no problems. However, as I said, if you need new pins you will have to take it apart. Even if that is the case I would still remove hinge and door as one. This way you could refinish behind the hinges since you've gone that far anyway.

40guy    -- 02-19-2010 @ 11:00 AM
  The window regulators are not real difficult to remove, It just takes patients and a little manuevering. I always roll the glass down and remove glass and regulator as a unit.

ford38v8    -- 02-19-2010 @ 12:02 PM
  Parrish, Drake sells a pin removal tool, but any such tool is only as good as the pin is removable in the first place. I modified a large C clamp to do the job, spent weeks with penetrating oil, drift pins, all of that. I wound up carefully drilling with ever increasing sized bits. It worked for me, but if I'd known that it was a job I shouldn't have tackled, I wouldn't have my passenger side mirror today!

Alan

51f1    -- 02-19-2010 @ 12:31 PM
  Some pins are easy to remove, and some aren't. I have had to use heat and drills to get the tougher ones out. Start out simple using a hammer and a pin or, perhaps, a hinge pin remover, which I didn't have much success with. In fact the pin remover would not work w/one of my truck hinges because of the curvature of the door. Then move up to heat and drills. You may be lucky. It's almost always better to be lucky than good.

Richard

supereal    -- 02-19-2010 @ 2:08 PM
  One of the secrets to hinge pin removal is to support the outer edge of the door to take the load off the pins. As the pins wear, they develop worn areas that help to lock the pins in place thru the weight of the door. The knurled part of the pin is usually firmly rusted to the hinge. We haven't had much luck with the "C" clamp tool sold for the purpose, but the air chisel seems to move them, in most cases, if you are careful not to "mushroom" the end. An air chisel ground to just under the diameter of the pin seems to work best, but be sure to protect the area around the hinge (don't ask). A sharply pointed tool tends to swedge the pins. If your pins are not badly worn, you can save time (and your vocabulary) by not taking them out.

Stroker    -- 02-19-2010 @ 2:45 PM
  If you know anyone who works as an aircraft airframe mechanic, you might borrow a pneumatic riveter.
These take the same bits as an air chisel, but have a "teasing" throttle. Using Supereals's advice on preparing a slightly smaller than the pin diameter pin punch, and a regulated air supply, you can
"nurse" almost anything loose that isn't welded. I would also soak the pin area for a few days with
Aero Kroil, which is the best penetrant I have found. Like Alan, I only had the occasion to do this
after I bought a hinge-mount mirror some years ago.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=828