Topic: Upholstery cleaning

pinnsky    -- 02-23-2015 @ 9:02 AM
  The upholstery in my 36 is usable, but dirty and stained.
Is there a safe and effective way to clean it easily?
Thanks,
Tom

trjford8    -- 02-23-2015 @ 2:16 PM
  Is it the old original upholstery?

pinnsky    -- 02-23-2015 @ 3:46 PM
  Yes, dark gray stripe.

Drbrown    -- 02-23-2015 @ 6:10 PM
  Personally, I'd recommend FIRST checking with a reputable auto upholstry shop (or two) as to what type(s) of cleaners you could try on your material while leaving it in-place. The object would be to clean only the top fabric and not to damage or transmit the stain to the padding below. Try an inconspicuous location to see if it gives you an acceptable result.

If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, ask the upholstery shop (get more than one qualified opinion) about removing the existing fabric and having it cleaned separately. You may get resistance from them as they may say it is as costly (or more) than new upholstery BUT if you're committed to keeping the car as original as possible, this would be a great approach. New/replacement fabric may not be of equal quality or look exactly the same as the original.

Please keep us posted as this is a topic many others would be interested in.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 2-23-15 @ 6:16 PM

trjford8    -- 02-25-2015 @ 7:56 AM
  There are some foam type cleaners that clean cloth upholstery. You can get them at most automotive supply stores and some big box stores. I would avoid any cleaner that may have petroleum products in it. I have used the foam cleaners with some success and noticed no harm to the cloth. I temper my statement by saying that I have never had the occasion to use it on upholstery that is original to the car.

TomO    -- 02-25-2015 @ 8:34 AM
  The original cloth was probably wool, so use mild suds like Woolite or an upholstery shampoo designed for wool, to clean the upholstery. Do NOT soak the material, just use the suds on a sponge or cloth.

Vacuum the seats several times before trying to clean them, to get all of the loose dirt out of them. You may want to use the vacuum in a Rug Doctor or similar cleaning machine as they are more powerful than most home vacuums. After cleaning, vacuum several more times in a short period to remove all of the moisture.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8243