Topic: 1947 front suspension

barrhavencobra    -- 02-20-2015 @ 6:30 PM
  I recently bought a great 1947. She has not been on the road a about 4 years, I want to keep her original but was wondering if any one offers a kit of parts to rebuild the main parts to original? I have the early v8 book and will use that as well, however just wanted ro see if any one offered a bucket of parts.

Thanks

Jim

kubes40    -- 02-20-2015 @ 8:01 PM
  There are not that many parts to rebuild and / or replace. Tie rod ends, spindle pins / bushings, spring...maybe adjust the steering gear as necessary.
I would suggest Joblot Automotive in New York for all of these particular parts.

len47merc    -- 02-20-2015 @ 8:12 PM
  Jim - most all the classic Ford parts suppliers have a resident expert that, if prompted with a '...turn key, full front-end rebuild...' request, can rip the parts off quickly and provide you with your 'bucket'. I have to agree with kubes40 - give James @ JobLot Automotive a call.

Btw - did you decide on your tire selection yet?

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-20-15 @ 8:14 PM

flathead48    -- 02-21-2015 @ 4:42 AM
  James at Joblot, has the knowledge and the parts, great guy to do business with Rick

woodiewagon46    -- 02-21-2015 @ 7:36 AM
  Not only because I live near Joblot but, yes I would purchase my parts from them. If I were you I would get a copy of their catalog or use the on line catalog because it offers "exploded views" of the entire front end. Circle all the parts you need and purchase as you need them. Has the front end ever been rebuilt? If not take the load off the front end and start poking around and see whats loose. You can start with the kingpins and bushings and continue.

Drbrown    -- 02-21-2015 @ 2:58 PM
  barrhavencobra: Did you drive her down the road yet ? Any problems noticed ? If you don't have them, get a copy of the "46-48 Ford Service Manual" dated 8/15/46 and the 1977 book "Ford V-8 Service Bulletins" which has maintenance, trouble-shooting and Dealer service bulletins. These and such others describe how to inspect and test various parts of the suspension and steering system. I found most of mine on eBay but the Parts Dealers sell them too. You'll get a chance to educate you favorite mechanic in the old ways.

How about a photo. Good luck.

barrhavencobra    -- 02-21-2015 @ 4:27 PM
  Hello all. Steve I have not decided yet, but my neighbour was at Arizona so cal and sent me a picture of almost same car with radials and it lookd sharp ... But still have time! Spoke with Sanderson repo glass Friday, everything seems more complicated and expensive when suppliers need to ship into Canada ... This is not a criticisms of them at all but a thank you for supplying us up here.
I bought her and have not yet driving her, hoping to start her up first week in march.
My goal is to have her ripumning this summer and certified to be on the road, then likely have endive and trannymrebuk,t next winter.

Jim

barrhavencobra    -- 02-22-2015 @ 7:18 AM
  Hello all. Steve I have not decided yet, but my neighbour was at Arizona so cal and sent me a picture of almost same car with radials and it lookd sharp ... But still have time! Spoke with Sanderson repo glass Friday, everything seems more complicated and expensive when suppliers need to ship into Canada ... This is not a criticisms of them at all but a thank you for supplying us up here.
I bought her and have not yet driving her, hoping to start her up first week in march.
My goal is to have her ripumning this summer and certified to be on the road, then likely have endive and trannymrebuk,t next winter.

Jim

TomO    -- 02-23-2015 @ 7:27 AM
  Jim,

You should be able to find a local glass shop that will cut the laminated glass to the pattern of your old glass. You will have to seal all of the edges before you install the glass in the car.

Have the glass cutter polish the edges of the glass and then seal the edges. I used masking tape to tape off a 1/16" line all around the edge of the glass on both sides. Then I applied a thin coating of clear epoxy to the edge. Try to keep it off of the sides of the masking tape. The sides do not have to have any epoxy on them, just the edges of the sandwich. After the epoxy cured, I painted the edges with a black enamel to simulate the original sealer used by Ford.

You can buy a kit to apply the glass bugs from Roy Nacewicz.

http://www.fordscript.com/

For just a little work, you can save quite a bit of your Canadian dollars.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8234