Topic: VIN History

winbar25    -- 02-17-2015 @ 12:18 PM
  I am sure that this is asked a lot, I have a 39 Ford Standard Coupe. Is there a service available that will give me the owner history of this particular car only using the VIN? Thank you Mike

kubes40    -- 02-17-2015 @ 2:19 PM
  There are services that purport to do just this. The reality of it is... they can't do anymore than you at the local DMV. Which is unfortunately, very little.

wmsteed    -- 02-22-2015 @ 11:06 AM
  Without a "word of mouth" trail supplied by a former owner (s) there is no way to document who or where the car was owned by. Many of the states, especially the southern states, did not have state DMV's, nor did they title vehicles until sometime in the late 70's.
Many people view motor vehicles as being like a pair old shoes, that is, they are thrown away when they are worn out..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

trjford8    -- 02-23-2015 @ 2:25 PM
  The frame # is strictly a sequential assembly line #. Due to privacy laws tracing the history of a car through any DMV is impossible.

Gary M.    -- 02-23-2015 @ 6:36 PM
  If you have the 1938-39 Ford book then you can look up the exact month and year that your car was built according to your VIN. Its available through the V8 club. I discovered that my 39 Standard Tudor was built in November 1938.

kubes40    -- 02-24-2015 @ 7:40 AM
  The serial number will only get you an approximate date your vehicle was built. That number will however, give you a date when the engine was mated to the transmission. How long that assembly was inventoried prior to being installed to a vehicle can only be guessed.
In Wisconsin, the DMV can and will provide ownership within the past seven years - no earlier. The only exception to this is if the last owner sold the car within the past seven years but had it titled 30, 40 years ago. THAT will still be in the DMV records.
The bottom line remains: it is nearly impossible to obtain an accurate record of past ownership unless they have been passed down with a particular vehicle.
Even when they supposedly have been (passed along) I'd suggest actual documentation vs. hearsay and / or hand written notes to verify such representation.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-24-15 @ 7:41 AM

winbar25    -- 02-28-2015 @ 5:59 PM
  Thank you!

winbar25    -- 02-28-2015 @ 5:59 PM
  Thank you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8224