Topic: 35 to 36 fuel gauge conversion

terryp    -- 02-16-2015 @ 7:55 PM
  Planning to stop running out of gas with a reliable fuel gauge by replacing my '35 hydrostatic with a '36 electric unit. My coupe is running 12 volts and I did not get a sending unit with the NOS dash gauge. Has anyone done this conversion? do I need a voltage reducer? is there a modern sending unit I can modify to fit the '35 tank? Any discussion or tips appreciated! Thanks, Terry. '35 5 window, Cordoba tan with original 21 stud.

TomO    -- 02-17-2015 @ 7:34 AM
  You will need a voltage reducer to use the 36 Fuel gauge in your 12 volt 35. You can buy a reproduction sending unit from most of the vendors that supply parts for these cars. The reproduction sending unit will require some bending of the float arm to give you reasonable readings.

Tom

terryp    -- 02-17-2015 @ 5:46 PM
  Thanks Tom, The '35 tank has a relatively small opening in the top for the hydrostatic unit and fuel pickup. Do you know if the '36 tank is the same since they use the electric sender? I have converted many cars to 12 volts and have found a small voltage reducer by Borg Warner that works nicely on gauges.

flatheadfan    -- 02-18-2015 @ 12:44 AM
  Terryp-

This is a little more complicated than just adding a sending unit to your current tank. First, the '36 tank has a larger tank opening than the '35 to accommodate the sender. Second, the '35 has a vent within the hydroscopic sender. When you go with an electric sender the vent is gone. You will need to vent through the fuel neck. You can not use a '36 neck because it won't fit the '35's fender configuration. Finally, you will need to relocate the fuel line. A '36 tank has a side pickup whereas the '35 has a top pickup which is part of its' hydroscopic sender. If you want to retain 12 volts a '56 Ford sender will direct replace the '36-'55 sender. A 6-12 resistor on the dash unit will simplify things.

I know it seems more complicated than just changing the sender but the results are worth it. I converted my '35 to a '36 tank and gauge decades ago and have had a zero problems.

If you have any questions PM me. I also have some pictures of venting the tank which may be useful.

Tom

v8er    -- 02-19-2015 @ 1:59 PM
  The '36 taillight harness carries the wire for the sending unit. An original '35 harness does not have this wire.

terryp    -- 02-22-2015 @ 7:40 AM
  Correct on the wire harness tip, I would also need to run an additional wire for the electric sending unit. Received many helpful answers from this forum and personal contacts. My inclination as of now is to modify the good '35 tank to accept the electric unit and addition of a pickup tube and vent. Sounds easy, right? the first challenge is removing the tank from the car. I have soaked the filler tube threads with PB Blaster for several months with no luck as my spanner keeps jumping out of the holes in the threaded sleeve. Any suggestions on removing this thing without destroying the tank????? This may be time to remove the fender so I can get a better angel on the tube. Also thought of making a new spanner with pins that will engage several of the holes instead of just one. Suggestions?

trjford8    -- 02-23-2015 @ 2:28 PM
  I would definitely remove the fender for better access.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8220