Topic: 1938 ford pickup oil return line

ramin    -- 02-17-2010 @ 1:33 PM
  Hello: Would it be ok not to connect the oil return line (cap it) from under the oil filter traveling through one of the bolts that holds the distributor?? or anyone is selling the line with special fitting that would connect to both ends?? the pix. shows one end that will be connect to special bolt (has hole in middle). The bolt is one of the three bolts that hold the distributor.
As always thank you for your advise.
Ramino

supereal    -- 02-17-2010 @ 1:49 PM
  The use of a hollow distributor bolt for oil filter return was an early set up, superseded by running the return to the dipstick boss on the oil pan. If your truck doesn't have a dipstick boss with the return hole, you can get one for $20 at C&G, 800/266-0470. Ask for part # 59A-6751.

ramin    -- 02-17-2010 @ 5:01 PM
  thank you for the info. but i am still confuse on if there will be any damage to the engine in long term if i stop the flow of the oil return from under oil filter???
I do have dip stick to check oil level in the truck.
R

ford38v8    -- 02-17-2010 @ 5:17 PM
  Ramino, This is a bypass oil filtering system, meaning that some oil is diverted to the filter, while the rest is pumped through the engine. By capping off the return line, you are merely removing the filter from the system. The filter system was an option in the early years, not required, but still helpful in filtering oil and proving an additional quantity of oil and means of cooling for the engine.

The location of return is of little importance, but the distributor return offered in 1940, proved better than the earlier fuel pump return, as that location allowed oil vapor to exit as blowby at the crankcase vent.

Alan

ramin    -- 02-17-2010 @ 5:25 PM
  thank you for the info. I do not drive the truck on daily bases. I do change oil every 800 miles, understanding that the filter is not active anymore and the oil does not get filtered out.
Thanks again.
R

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=822