Topic: Wire Size Question

tan35coupe    -- 02-15-2015 @ 11:48 AM
  I'd like to replace some of the wiring in my '35 Coupe. Where can I find the appropriate wire gauge sizes?

I have books and manuals, etc., but all I can find are references to the original wire color coding, not the wire size.

Thanks,

ken ct.    -- 02-15-2015 @ 12:18 PM
  Save yourself a ton of headache's and buy a pre made harness. They come in sections,EI: dash,engine,rear etc. No need to buy them all just what you need. The correct size and color will be there. OMO ken ct.

lazy69ranch    -- 02-15-2015 @ 8:01 PM
  I had a good experience with Rhode Island Wire. They reproduce everything to factory specs using excellent materials. They offer individual harness sections as ken ct suggested.

http://www.riwire.com/

CharlieStephens    -- 02-15-2015 @ 8:30 PM
  I agreed with the others, buy a pre made harness. They will be color coded to match the wiring diagrams, have the correct covering and be correct gauge. If you really want to do it yourself, GOOGLE it and you will find sites like: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

Charlie Stephens

39 Ken    -- 02-16-2015 @ 4:48 AM
  I would do the whole car. Old wires may look good
but they dry and crack very easily. Give Tyree Harris
a call. Excellent quality and looks original.Price is reasonable.

Tyree Harris
Bumpass, Virginia 23024
804-556-5200
tyreeswires@gmail.com

tan35coupe    -- 02-16-2015 @ 7:02 AM
  I appreciate what everyone is saying, but I would really like to find the basic specs for the wiring. Seems like with so many different vendors offering harnesses, the specs they work to should be available.

ken ct.    -- 02-16-2015 @ 1:37 PM
  Your asking for many,many problems with point to point wireing. Do your self a favor,buy pre made. Harris and RI wire are both good. Ive done 3 complete cars with RI and its a piece of cake with the right harnesses. ken ct.

tan35coupe    -- 02-16-2015 @ 2:13 PM
  I just want the information.

What are the original wire gauge sizes for a 1935 Ford?

How hard is this?

len47merc    -- 02-16-2015 @ 3:56 PM
  tan35coupe - no one wants to see frustration here for you or any respondents to your query. From your first post your documentation does not provide the info you need, and from the responses of four credible and respected individuals on this forum you have obtained their recommendations, one of which includes a suggestion that provides a path for you to initiate research for yourself.

Respectfully, and to help facilitate, from your first post it appears you are simply requesting resource materials for your '35 referencing original gauge specs by specific wire - correct?

Just endeavoring to keep us on the high road and facilitate/assist somehow in getting you the information you are looking for.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-16-15 @ 4:44 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 02-16-2015 @ 4:37 PM
  From earlier post "I appreciate what everyone is saying, but I would really like to find the basic specs for the wiring. Seems like with so many different vendors offering harnesses, the specs they work to should be available."

If I was a vendor supplying harnesses and had gone to the trouble of researching wire size (from basic tables or Ford drawings) I don't think I would post it for my competition to use.

Charlie Stephens

ken ct.    -- 02-16-2015 @ 4:49 PM
  I don't think those specks are available anywhere personally. And I agree with your second paragraff on the subject. ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 02-16-2015 @ 4:52 PM
  Furthermore I don't think anybody would know the wire size of all the diff wires in a ford chassie and the proper color and length of them. OMO. ken ct.

Drbrown    -- 02-16-2015 @ 6:33 PM
  I'm sending you a PM.

42wagon    -- 02-17-2015 @ 4:46 AM
  I think you will find that most of the wiring is 14 gauge with various color coded insulating jackets. There are a few heavy duty wires but it's pretty simple.
If you have the wiring in the car why not measure what you have. Measure the wire of course not the jacket.

juergen    -- 02-18-2015 @ 8:45 AM
  Here is another approach to determining wire size. If you can expect your maximum current draw, this site whill tells you wire size based on the current requirements; www.offroaders.com/tech/12volt-wire-gauge-amps. I think I saw the same list at Narraganset wiring. Note that it says for 6 volt applications, a wire gauge 2 sizes larger should be used. This is not for current carrying purposes but to reduce the voltage drop through the wire. Of course you need to know the current value or as 42 wagon says measure what you have and for instruments 14 gauge is a good choice.

Drbrown    -- 02-18-2015 @ 6:19 PM
  tan35coupe .... as an informative guide, attached is a wiring diagram for 1945-47 Fords from a Service Manual that shows a tabulation of both the wire gauge and color for each circuit. I say guide because i.e. a wire serving a tail light in 1935 most likely carried the same current as a 1945 Ford. As the diagram shows, GENERALLY in 6 volt Fords main feeders were #10, subfeeders #14, and lessor circuits like tail and dome lights are #16. Special circuits for i.e. heaters and cigar lighters are obviously larger gauge. This data could save you some head scratching. Dan

len47merc    -- 02-19-2015 @ 5:11 AM
  Dan - this is great info. What manual/document is this from and are you aware if copies, reprints or originals still available? I'd like to add it to my reference library if I could obtain it. Thanks - appreciate your posting this.

Steve

Flathill    -- 02-19-2015 @ 8:08 AM
  I'm also just needing to replace some wires for my 35 ford as I trouble shoot the system. Someday I will replace with the new harnesses as my work progresses.
Thank you Dan for the Wire Gauge Diagram.

Whifty    -- 02-19-2015 @ 5:50 PM
  http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Service-Bulletins-1941-1948-Complete/dp/0911160345

Drbrown    -- 02-19-2015 @ 6:35 PM
  len47merc and Flathill: Dug thru my books and computer files (I copy tons of items off the forums) and found where that wiring diagram came from. It's in a bright red-colored hard bound book about 5" x 7" that I bought off eBay titled "Ford V8 Service Bulletins, 1941-1948 Complete" .... obviously not specific to earlier Fords but none-the-less about the flathead world. A number of Ford parts houses sell it. Its a compilation (approved by Ford) of Ford "Dealer Service Bulletins" authored by Dan Post dated 1977 copyright 1988 by Lincoln Publishing containing about 370 pages.

That particular wiring diagram is on page 168; there are other similar ones for different engines on pages 166, 170 and 172.

Looking at different (6v) diagrams, the only #10 wire seems to be btwn generator, starter solenoid and circuit breaker; Balance of circuits use #14 or #16 gauge.

I've been gradually rewiring my 12v '47. The car long ago left the concourse neighborhood, and while some may feel over-sizing wires is wasteful, I eliminated dim headlights and like the snappy electric system.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 2-19-15 @ 6:41 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8213