Topic: Front drum

flathead48    -- 02-11-2015 @ 3:33 AM
  Need to replace a front drum on 48 passanger with hub on inside. Would appreciate any tips on the process. Thanks, Rick

len47merc    -- 02-11-2015 @ 6:57 AM
  Rick - do you have the older style hub/drum where the outer hub flange with the lug bolts in it is inside the drum? If so, and the original bolts are still in the hub/drum 'assembly', the bolts will have been swaged on the outside of the drum to hold the drum securely to the hub (the 'bulge' may be subtle but it will be there if original). In this case the simplest and safest solution is to take a side angle grinder (or equivalent cutting method) and cut the bolts flush with the old drum, remove the drum then press the balance of the bolt out of the hub. CAUTION - if you try to press the swaged bolts out of both parts without first cutting off the swaged/bulged portion you very likely may crack your hub and then of course you are up the proverbial creek. If you want to stay original you will need to obtain new bolts designed for swaging and place your new drums on the hub with the new bolts already pressed in then find a machine shop that can swag the bolts. Most are simply purchasing the newer-style drums and bolts that only require the bolts to be pressed into the hub and then the drum can be slid on and off easily whenever you need to work on the brakes, this also without having to remove the hub. Your call on which way you want to go.

If you have the style hub and drum with the hub flange on the outside of the drum and the lug bolts pressed through from the back of the drum through the hub flange, then again these bolts should be cut off with a side angle grinder or equivalent cutting method and then pressed out. Again also, if you do not remove the swaged/bulged area first you very likely may crack your hub. For this style I am not aware of any other option other than placing your new drum on the hub and pressing in the new lug bolts, then having the bolts swaged by a professional shop with the appropriate swaging tools/presses to get the job done correctly on such a big bolt. I have no personal experience with this style but have been advised by an owner of a vehicle with this style they had problems when they simply reassembled the parts without swaging the bolts (for this style only). Btw - I was told he ground off the head of the bolts on the inside of the drum and then pressed the bolts through the hub from the backside to the front, this to prevent marring and/or damage to the outside of the hub flange from trying to cut the bolt off from the outside.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 2-11-15 @ 7:07 AM

flathead48    -- 02-11-2015 @ 7:04 AM
  Len47merc, I do have the original setup with the hub on inside of drum, thanks got the yip on cutting the bolts, I purchased the newer studs with the drum as suggest by Joblot. Thanks again for your advice. Rick

len47merc    -- 02-11-2015 @ 12:57 PM
  James is great. He was the first to advise me of the process in late 2013 when restoring the brakes on my '47. You're in good hands - sure all will go well.

Steve

flathead48    -- 02-12-2015 @ 9:17 AM
  Len47merc

I have purchased quite a it from James over the years, real straight shooter. I did go to Dick Spadaro first , great guy, very honest and was about 35 miles from me plus Dick was a member of our local Ford Chapter. What a shame, young and so full of life to have this happen to him. Thanks again for your heil

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8201