Topic: fuel pressure

hafnerwwh    -- 02-10-2015 @ 8:14 PM
  Looking for a little help in setting the fuel pump output pressure on my 1935 Ford flathead V8. I have been told that you can shim the pump to lower output pressure, can anyone confirm this? Appreciate the help, Thanks

Bill

JM    -- 02-10-2015 @ 8:48 PM
  I have a few questions for you before suggesting what psi your fuel pump should deliver:
1. What is happening now that makes you think the fuel pressure needs to be adjusted/changed?
2. Do you know what your fuel pressure is now? Maximum psi vs. Minimum psi?
3 Which carburetor and fuel pump are running now on your '35?

John

ken ct.    -- 02-10-2015 @ 10:50 PM
  If you have 2-3 # pressure that is sufficent to run.You can also put a lighter big spring under the diaphragm to lower pressure.Not sure if the extra gasket works,never tried it.I use all the old spring when rebuilding them especially the new ones from China.They use toooo strong a spring in them. OMO. ken ct.

hafnerwwh    -- 02-11-2015 @ 5:38 AM
  I haven't measured it yet, but I have purchased a new Stromberg Carb and they seem very insistent that the inlet fuel pressure not be above a specified range (max 3.5 PSI I believe. That said I was looking for a means to adjust that if necessary.

ken ct.    -- 02-11-2015 @ 5:55 AM
  If you are using a stock mechanical pump it should be no problem. Not a new China made repop. or an electric one whitch usually put out too much pressure.Best bet if you experience flooding on starting.Have a correct for your yr engine pump rebuilt by several competent rebuilders on here mainly Charlie NY or myself,you will be a happy camper. ken ct.

TomO    -- 02-11-2015 @ 8:12 AM
  You could possibly reduce output pressure by adding gaskets under the fuel pump stand. This would reduce the pump stroke and would definitely reduce the efficiency of the pump.

As Ken said the output pressure is determined by the diaphragm return spring, and be sure to measure the pressure before you make any changes.

Tom

MICHV8    -- 02-11-2015 @ 8:27 AM
  Be extremely careful when altering the mounting of the fuel pump stand as the "ears" can crack very easily unless properly seated. Don't ask

JM    -- 02-11-2015 @ 10:21 AM
  Sounds like the guys have answered your question. Many of the new repro fuel pumps being offered today produce a higher psi than the Stromberg carburetors can withstand. This is one reason you will see so many leakers when folks open their hoods. I like to keep mine at 2 to 2-1/2 psi. Never tried adjusting FP pressure by adding gaskets under the FP stand, but have seen adjustable length push rods made for this purpose. I think if you stick with Ken's suggestion on having an original FP properly rebuilt and checked for correct psi, you should be ok.

John

This message was edited by JM on 2-11-15 @ 5:09 PM

hafnerwwh    -- 02-11-2015 @ 8:27 PM
  My thanks to all of you for your responses. I truly appreciate the advise.

Bill

lawrie    -- 02-14-2015 @ 5:22 PM
  hope this helps
Lawrie
http://fordbarn.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210230&d=1421799061

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8200