Topic: Etched Glass Identification Logo's or Bugs

foto1man    -- 02-07-2015 @ 5:37 PM
  This question is concerning the glass identification, etched window logo’s or window bugs, whatever they may be called. I have 1935 Ford Phaeton and I was wondering if all the windows had logos or bugs? There’s the windshield, the two wind wings and the window in the convertible top in the rear? Were the windows clear or tinted? Were they laminated or tempered and their thickness? Where were the etched logos’s located at, especially the wind wings?
Thanks, Kenneth

Don Rogers    -- 02-07-2015 @ 7:41 PM
  Kenneth, All glass in a 35 phaeton had ford bugs when it left the factory. I am attaching (3) factory drawings showing the windshield, wind wings, and rear curtain glass and the location of the bug/logo.

Don Rogers

Don Rogers    -- 02-07-2015 @ 7:42 PM
  Wind Wing

Don Rogers    -- 02-07-2015 @ 7:43 PM
  Rear Curtain Glass

foto1man    -- 02-08-2015 @ 5:09 AM
  Thanks Don,

The factory drawings are great. Were the etchings on the inside of each window? My '35 Phaeton doesn't have bug/logos on any of the windows and I would like to find some possible replacements.

Are you one of the co-authors of the "1935-36 Ford Book"?

Once again, Thanks

Robert/Texas    -- 02-08-2015 @ 5:37 AM
  Another thing to look into. On my low mileage '37 all of the glass appears to be original. The bugs on the driver's side are the mirror image of those on the right (etched on the inside vs outside). I'm not sure which is which as I'm not near the car right now. I'll be seeing the car tomorrow if you need to know this.

Don Rogers    -- 02-08-2015 @ 7:35 AM
  foto1man, Forget about the glass being in your car for a moment. Picture the glass laying on a flat surface. The bug is applied to the side facing up as shown in the drawings.
Therefore the windshield glass should have the bug in the lower left corner with writing readable from the outside or in the lower right corner readable from the inside.

The wing glass (same piece of glass on left and right) Drivers side readable from out side...passenger side readable from inside.

Rear curtain glass...lower right readable from out side....lower right readable from inside.

Yes I am one of the co-authors of The 1935-36 Ford Book

foto1man    -- 02-08-2015 @ 8:40 AM
  Thanks Don that helps. I hope to replace all the glass in my '35. I'll probably start first with the wing glass, looks easier. The windshield and the rear curtain glass look to be more involved or harder.

Thanks, Kenneth

3w2    -- 02-08-2015 @ 7:08 PM
  Don,

With respect, given that the drawings for the side glass are for the right side version, the wind wing on the passenger side would be readable from the outside and the one on the left side would be readable from the inside.

Don Rogers    -- 02-08-2015 @ 8:34 PM
  3w2, There is only (1) version of glass for either side of the vehicle. The part # 48-18258-A is for both left and right sides. The "R" after the part number indicates that the part has been designated a replacement part and is no longer in production. 48-18258-B replaced this part and had a slightly different shape (some call this the 1936 style)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8190