Topic: 60hp water pump leakage

lautens    -- 02-04-2015 @ 4:34 PM
  dumb question: when these pumps leak, what actually breaks down? where are they leaking from? the shaft, the mating surface (nut/washer to housing) or the impeller or all of the above? will coolant sealants work ie. barrs leak or other manufactures sealers. has anyone been successful using them or will a rebuild kit be a better fix.

cliftford    -- 02-04-2015 @ 8:43 PM
  Most of the time, they leak around the shaft. Forget the sealers. Do it right and replace the pumps.

carcrazy    -- 02-04-2015 @ 9:47 PM
  Getting the V8-60 water pumps to seal well and not leak can be quite a challenge. Which kind do you have on your engine, the early ones with the tapered sealing surfaces or the later ones with the straight sides and flat sealing surfaces? I recently rebuilt a V8-60 that originally had the tapered water pumps. I was never able to get the rebuilt tapered water pumps to stop leaking. Even with Stopleak in the cooling system the sealing surfaces would leak. I changed the front cover to the later type which takes the straight sided water pumps. I then installed two NOS straight sided water pumps, no Stopleak, distilled water, and water pump lube. These pumps don't appear to leak at the sealing gaskets. These pumps do have small leaks coming from the centers of the pulleys. These leaks appear to be lessening with engine run time on an engine test stand. My hope is that eventually the leaks will stop as the sealing surfaces between the plastic impellers and the water pump housings wear in to provide a coolant-tight seal.

lautens    -- 02-05-2015 @ 6:05 AM
  not sure if these pumps are straight or tapered. I replaced a 37 with a 38 engine. the 38 engine when on the test stand had a very marginal leak and wasn't too worried, however now that it's being running in the car it's gotten worse. I removed a pump from the 37 (tapered pump) and see there is a groove in the housing as if an O ring should be there to seal against the pump. do the straight pumps have this same groove in the housing? if so, would an O ring help seal?

carcrazy    -- 02-05-2015 @ 11:03 AM
  The early tapered type of water pumps use two O-rings of square cross section at two different locations on the taper to seal the water pump housings to the front cover. The later straight sided water pumps use two different gaskets to seal the water pump housings to the front cover. One of the gaskets fits on the ledge at the bottom end of the pump that seals against the bottom of the hole in the front cover. The other larger diameter gasket which resembles a large spark plug gasket fits under the outer flange of the pump housing to seal it to the front cover.
The straight pumps do not have the O-ring grooves in the housing like the tapered pumps. An O-ring would not help to seal any leaks with the straight pumps.

lautens    -- 02-09-2015 @ 8:17 AM
  pulled the leaky pump out and it's the straight style. found the square gasket nearest the impeller was a bit damaged, so replaced it with an O ring & sealed all matting surfaces with sealant. reinstalled, filled up with antifreeze and run engine for about 3/4 of an hour and so far no leak.

carcrazy    -- 02-09-2015 @ 10:51 AM
  It sounds like you have cured the problem. Be sure to check the oil level to make sure you have no leaks of coolant into the crankcase.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8175