Topic: 59 AB inspection and assessment

lazy69ranch    -- 01-25-2015 @ 8:15 PM
  Lucky me, I recently bought 6 mostly complete 59 A and AB head engines at an estate sale.

Two of them were supposedly rebuilt and ready for service.

Since I have no verifiable history or proof that they were rebuilt, I have begun my assessment by removing the heads which revealed domed pistons, matching domed heads and no palpable ridge on the cylinder walls.

Both engines turn readily by hand.

My next plan was to remove the oil and pans and inspect the lower end. But I'm not entirely sure what the key indicators are.

1 -What would you guys do to perform a cursory review of wear on the engine?

2 -Remove a main cap and look for wear?

3 -Check valve adjustment?

4 -Did all 59A or AB head engines have domed pistons?

5 - Are the A and AB heads interchangeable?

6- Compression test on an engine stand?

I'm just looking to install these engines on rat rods and have fun with them even if they are not "new" or perfect. Just looking for obvious flags and indicators so I may choose the best candidates for installation.

Thanks much in advance.

wmsteed    -- 01-26-2015 @ 10:44 AM
  From my point of view you are overly thinking the whole situation..
You have stated that you have removed heads from the engines in question and found the bore to be good, and the engine (s) turn freely by hand.
The compression, etc., of the engine (s) is a mute subject if you intend to put them into rat rods which will only get limited use.
The 59 heads, be they "A" or "AB" are not inter- changeable, or mixable, they have to be one or the other, and they have to match the pistons, flattop or domed.
My advise would be to put a liberal amount of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and reinstall the heads back onto the engine the came from.
When you get ready to fire an engine up. pull the plugs and crank the engine over to purge the cylinders of excessive MMO.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

cliftford    -- 01-26-2015 @ 9:24 PM
  Since you have the pan off,the very least I would do is check the oil pump and make sure it is good, and take a plastic hammer, tap the rods to check for excessive clearance. It wouldn't hurt to pull the main bearing caps and check clearance and crankshaft condition.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8136