Topic: Generator Bearing Oil?

rdevarga    -- 01-24-2015 @ 2:36 PM
  Gentleman:

I believe my generator bearings are dry. Saw faint gold colored dust around belt pulley. Is there a way to get oil to this bearing? If so, how and what kind of oil do I use? The pulley spins correctly with no warble, but I can here a bearing with a hand spin.

As always, I appreciate all of you guys wisdom. Photo attached. Richard deVarga

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

TomO    -- 01-24-2015 @ 4:48 PM
  The front bearing is a sealed bearing and if dry, must be replaced. It is a good idea to do it ASAP as the bearing will fail and may destroy the armature.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:01 PM
  What TomO said. Here's my armature warped and burned by rubbing on the field coil when the bearings went.

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:03 PM
  And the rear bushing totally eaten up. (The gold powder is all that's left)

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:05 PM
  And the field coil where the armature rubbed.

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:13 PM
  rdevarga, I would venture to guess that the gold powder that you see near the front is from the brass bushing bearing at the back end that has been sucked to the front by the fan and blown around the front pulley. If that's all it is, that's probably an easier and cheaper fix than the front bearing.

The rear bearing needs oiled every 1,000 miles through the oil cup there. (See picture)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 1-25-15 @ 8:18 AM

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:24 PM
  One more thing. My generator bearings were destroyed by having the belt way too tight. It does not need to be tight but really quite loose, i.e. a half inch of deflection in the belt between the pulleys. (See illustration which also shows the oil cap at the back of the generator)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 1-24-15 @ 9:25 PM

TomO    -- 01-25-2015 @ 8:17 AM
  The rear bushing and the front bearing should be replaced together. If one is bad, the other is likely to fail soon.

As most collector cars do not put on much mileage, bushing should be oiled on a time basis not mileage based. The original mileage advice was given on the assumption of 10.000 to 12,000 miles per year. In other words the car would be serviced approximately once a month.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 01-25-2015 @ 8:19 AM
  Yeah, that's what I drive and how often mine is serviced.

rdevarga    -- 01-25-2015 @ 4:53 PM
  Thanks guys. I got it ready to take to Texas Alternator in the am and have both bearings replaced.

Richard deVarga
Austin Texas

Old Henry    -- 01-25-2015 @ 5:38 PM
  Might as well have 'em work the whole thing over including new brushes, turn the commutator, etc. while they have it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8133