Topic: 52ventwindow

rdt52flthd    -- 02-15-2010 @ 2:06 PM
  On 52 tudor sedans is it necessary to completely remove the vent window assembly in order to replace the rubber seal. I got the car with replaced seals that do not fit the upper half of the vent window frame. There is a 1/4" gap. Has anybody experienced this and if so what brand of seals will fit?

supereal    -- 02-16-2010 @ 10:58 AM
  I don't recall the replacement process for vent seals, as it varies between cars. I can tell you that Carpenter makes most of the seals today, and they usually fit very well. Their number is 800/476-9653.

rdt52flthd    -- 02-16-2010 @ 12:55 PM
  Thanks Supereal. I was hoping someone had ordered from Carpenter or Steele and knows the fit before I order. I suspect some of the parts on my car came from Carpenter as I found their packaging in a box of parts. I don't want to make the same mistake my predecessor did.

supereal    -- 02-16-2010 @ 1:04 PM
  Usually, when you order rubber parts from any vendor, chances are it will come in a Carpenter wrapper. As I recall, Steele deals mostly in GM seals. The only problem I had with anything from Carpenter was a windshield seal for my '47 convertible. They told me that there was no difference between the open and closed cars seals. There is, and I should have done more research before ordering.

51wood    -- 02-16-2010 @ 4:53 PM
  Yes if you have a pivot in the window ya have to remove it for new rubber.I got new rubber for my woodie vents from dc and they were wonderful. I also ordered every other seal for the woodie there, they all fit except the windshield. All the companies c& g for example get there stuff from DC

Don 52    -- 02-16-2010 @ 4:55 PM
  The complete assembly has to be removed on a four door, and I believe it would be the same for the two door. I used seals from Carpenters, and in my experience they were very difficult to put on. It was probably due to this being the first time I had ever attempted such a installation and lack of knowledge of what I was doing, but I didn't think the seals fit real well, and they leak.

40guy    -- 02-16-2010 @ 5:29 PM
  They probably leaked in 1952 too.

jerry.grayson    -- 02-17-2010 @ 5:41 AM
  40 guy, if they leak the problem sometimes is that the glass has been cut too big or too small.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=812