Topic: Clutch Installation

V8JR    -- 01-13-2015 @ 9:27 PM
  Can the clutch disk be installed either way against the flywheel or is there a specific orientation. 1940 Ford with 59AB. Thanks, V8JR

40 Coupe    -- 01-14-2015 @ 4:23 AM
  The clutch plate is directional. The longer side of the center hub toward the pressure plate. They may be stamped in the metal around the hub as to which side is correct.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-14-15 @ 4:24 AM

ken ct.    -- 01-14-2015 @ 5:08 AM
  Hope you bought a good clutch assembly ,like from "Fort Wayne Clutch" ,not one of these China made junk ones that start slipping within 6 mths. ken ct.

TomO    -- 01-14-2015 @ 8:35 AM
  Be sure to block the pressure plate fingers to keep pressure off of the disc when installing and tightening the pressure plate. This will prevent warping the pressure plate and make it easier to align the disc.

Tom

len47merc    -- 01-14-2015 @ 1:51 PM
  Agree with all the comments and note that after taking TomO's advice on Fort Wayne Clutch (echoed by ken ct above) as well as the installation suggestion Tom makes all my clutch probs were resolved. Smooth as silk, buttery feel and rock solid engagement every since install. Everyone's comments above are on the mark.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-14-15 @ 1:54 PM

V8JR    -- 01-16-2015 @ 5:52 PM
  Thanks guys - I'll put the advice to good use

TonyM    -- 01-17-2015 @ 2:40 PM
  I have a new clutch from Fort Wayne Clutch. I am not sure I need it yet.

As for the installation: I was told by some smart Ford People whose judgment I trust that I should not install the new clutch unless it is balanced as a unit with the flywheel (resurfaced if needed). What is the real dope on this? Can I just install the new clutch on the flywheel as is or does the clutch need to be balanced as a unit with the flywheel? Thanks.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 1-18-15 @ 9:33 PM

ken ct.    -- 01-17-2015 @ 3:52 PM
  Donno,my FWC was NOT balanced with the flywheel and no problems so far in 6 yrs and FW was not resurfaced either. ken ct omo.

oldford2    -- 01-17-2015 @ 4:36 PM
  Ken,
I hate to pick on you but you say no problems with your F T Wayne clutch in the last 6 years. Now, yes or no, have you driven your car in the last 6 years??
John

ken ct.    -- 01-17-2015 @ 10:57 PM
  Yea John, I drove it steady almost daily for approx. 3 yrs before I had to lay it up for the past 3 yrs. Put like 15,000 mi on it in that time.Is that enough miles for you. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 01-18-2015 @ 6:58 AM
  Install the new clutch and pressure plate on the flywheel, taking TomO's process advice, and you should not have any problems. I did, with my FWC as noted, and I could not ask for better performance and results.

Removing the flywheel for balancing typically can create many more balance (and other) problems than it solves. As a general rule you should leave it untouched and never even loosen the securing bolts except in the most extraordinary of circumstances, and even then only by a seasoned expert. FWCs have been 'plug-and-play' for most if not all of us - suggest you take that tact and seriously doubt you'll ever see any hint of disappointment.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-18-15 @ 6:59 AM

TonyM    -- 01-18-2015 @ 9:03 AM
  Thanks Steve.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 1-18-15 @ 9:03 AM

flathead4rd    -- 01-18-2015 @ 11:45 AM
  If you do decide to remove your flywheel for balancing, punch mark it's mounting location in relation to the crank shaft. I was taught that by my auto shop teacher back in the 50's.

TomO    -- 01-20-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  Tony,

To remove the flywheel, you must remove the pan. This is better to do with the engine on a stand. Like Steve, I would rather just clean up the flywheel with scotch brite pad and replace the clutch with the engine in the car. If the flywheel has score marks or heat checking, it should be removed and surfaced.

The stock Ford flywheel is heavy enough so that if it is put back in the original orientation ( line up the center punch marks made before removal), you should not have to balance it with the clutch.

Tom

TonyM    -- 05-21-2015 @ 4:48 PM
  TomO quote:

"Be sure to block the pressure plate fingers to keep pressure off of the disc when installing and tightening the pressure plate. This will prevent warping the pressure plate and make it easier to align the disc."

Tom, How does one block off the PP fingers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

78-730B

TomO    -- 05-22-2015 @ 6:31 AM
  Tony, I use pieces of wood to block the release fingers in order to relieve the pressure on the clutch disc.

Tom

TonyM    -- 05-30-2015 @ 7:28 AM
  What are the dimensions of the wood TomO? So I can cut it ahead of time.

78-730B

TomO    -- 05-30-2015 @ 7:52 AM
  Tony, I just grabbed some scr*p pieces about 1/2" thick and put them between the operating finger and the case.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8109