Topic: Pilot Bearing Removal

V8JR    -- 01-13-2015 @ 9:20 PM
  What is a good way to remove the pilot bearing from a 59AB engine. Thanks V8JR

35ford    -- 01-14-2015 @ 4:35 AM
  Pack the bearing with Heavy-Thick grease and get a wood dowl that just fits the bearing hole and drive it in. The hydraulic will force the bearing out. Hope this helps. kx

The

len47merc    -- 01-14-2015 @ 1:45 PM
  Recently having gone through this myself on a 59AB, the local O'Reillys, Carquest & Advance Auto Parts here in central NC have pilot bearing pullers for loan/rent. O'Reilly's loaned one to me. 35ford's method worked as well - changed the pilot bearing twice due to a bad rework of the pressure plate - and I found the pilot bearing puller tool to be readily available, quick and very easy to use on the second go.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-14-15 @ 1:47 PM

V8JR    -- 01-16-2015 @ 5:46 PM
  Thanks kx - when I get it out is there a special tool needed to install the new pilot bearing?

V8JR    -- 01-16-2015 @ 5:49 PM
  Thanks - Steve - that gives me another option. Did the auto parts store have an installation tool?

cliftford    -- 01-16-2015 @ 8:29 PM
  Here's how I install the new one: Use a bushing driver slightly smaller than the OD of the bearing and drive it in, keeping the bearing square to the flywheel. In a pinch, I have used a socket and driven it in with a dead blow or plastic hammer.

len47merc    -- 01-17-2015 @ 5:56 AM
  V8JR - yes O'Reilly's (here anyway) has a bearing/seal driver kit for loan/rent though as I'd already returned the puller and did not reinstall the new bearing for a few days I did not want to make the trip back over to pick up the tool kit. cliftford's suggestion works very well using an ~1 3/16", 1/2" drive socket (Craftsman - worked for me) flipped over so the 'flat' side is against the bearing and as he says use a dead blow/plastic mallet. If you choose this route, as cliftford says use whatever socket is slightly smaller in OD (brand wall-thicknesses vary) than the bearing but still makes full, solid contact with the flat surface of the outer bearing race perimeter. You also can simply use the old bearing to drive in the new using a dead blow/plastic mallet though you may have some minor difficulty removing the old bearing if you do not ever-so-slightly reduce the old bearing's OD before the effort.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 1-17-15 @ 5:58 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8108