Topic: Converting to Hydraulic -'36 Pickup

hardtop25    -- 01-05-2015 @ 2:52 PM
  Thnx TonyM & joe b for responding to my last inquiry. Now, I have a brake/clutch pedal setup w/ master cylinder I believe to be from '40 Ford. the mounting bracket is stamped 01A -2467. My '36 frame does not appear to have a location (holes,etc.) for mounting. this truck was being setup for '40 Ford brakes including side shift tranny (I have all the parts) but I don't believe that was ever completed (purchased mostly disassembled). Please advise.

trjford8    -- 01-06-2015 @ 7:33 AM
  If you are going to use the '36 transmission and hydraulic brakes you have two options. You can use the '39 pedal assembly which requires a slight trimming of the crossmember where they mount. Or you can use he stock pedal assembly and accompanying mechanical linkage to operate the master cylinder. Richard Lacy at the Early V-8 Garage in the L.A. area makes all the parts for this conversion. The '40 pedal assembly will only work with the side shift transmission.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-06-2015 @ 10:00 AM
  hardtop, the 1940 master is a single reservoir, "fruit jar", type. Is there any way you could use a dual reservoir master cylinder for safety reasons.

wmsteed    -- 01-07-2015 @ 11:50 AM
  I may or may not have responded to the earlier question (s} regarding installing hydraulic brakes on a '36 Ford, car or pickup. In any case bare with me..
From my experience the use of a '40 pedal assembly is not in your best interests. A '39 peddle assembly is much more friendly with the '36 frame and clutch.
Bob Drake has the '39 peddle assembly's.
You will have to relocate your battery because the master cylinder will hit the battery.
I would suggest '41 spindles, with '42-48 backing plates and brakes. You can use '40-48 drums, wheels and hub caps, or you can use '38-39 drums with '36 stock hub caps.
I have had both combinations on my '36, I now have '42-48 brakes, 39 drums, stock '36 wheels w/'36 caps.
I don't care for the under chassis aftermarket peddle and brake assembly which has been suggested to you... I find it to be very unsightly hanging under the car in lieu of being tucked up into the frame like a stock setup.
I have a '42-48 column shift trans w/'36 rear mount in my car. I used a stock '40 column assembly on '40 steering gears.. It all bolted together like Ford had planned it to do so..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8084