Topic: Very early V8 engine, later mounts

33Deluxe    -- 01-04-2015 @ 9:24 AM
  To all the early 1933 owners and experts...
I'm in a quandary of how to explain my recent findings associated with my inherited 1933 Fordor. Having just acquired this Sept. after the passing of my dear dad, I've decided to do some needed research on our old family car. My dad had owned this since 1965 without doing any real checking into the originality and production history. It's a true survivor, original in every way, I assume, displaying 26,000 miles on the odometer when he bought it. Now, posting 42,000 after 50 years of our ownership.

Here's the question... she sports matching serial #s 18-178825, making it a Sept. '32 engine. Very, very early to my learned knowledge. The unusual thing is that the block has the combo motor mount/water inlet mounts attached. Could this engine have sat crated 6 months (March '33 was the documented date those mounts were introduced) somewhere before being dropped onto the chassis? The car also has the true '33 front fender brackets. (not the 2-piece 1932 brackets) Been looking for other telltale parts but not sure if this is turning into something less than I need to get anal about. Please HELP, you guys. Thanks... Robb

David J    -- 01-06-2015 @ 7:48 AM
  The lack of the 18 prefix is not that rare . After seeing your post #27 yours is not like mine or the old roadster one as both of mine had the double ended arrow between the first star and first number . My 33 5w is missing the 18 on the FRAME only . The 18 prefix IS on the tranny . Had a 33 roadster years ago that was the same way . Well on the frame anyway as that car had no motor or tranny when I bought it . Had a 33 4d that had " 40 " for a prefix also . Unusual but definitely not the only one . As you can see I have updated your info like you did on Fordbarn . Now the tranny is where the # is - correct ? That opens up other possibilities . Can you post pics of the front of the block ? I don't recall seeing any in your other thread on this . Yes there is something definitely going on with this serial # in a 33 and it is indeed interesting . I will keep an eye on the other thread also as it is definitely getting more attention than this one . The crank hole casting with " ears " for the early type 33 front fender braces is not real unusual as my 5w has that also . May car .

This message was edited by David J on 1-6-15 @ 8:07 AM

33Deluxe    -- 01-06-2015 @ 12:55 PM
  Hi Dave,
Thanks for your comments. Yeah, after reading over the chapters in the EFV8 1933-34 book and the As Henry Built It-Production Facts book I realized that there was a lot of inconsistency going on back in the day on those production lines...Surpluses of parts, unreliable workers and just different plant procedures.
As you have read in the Ford Barn postings, the guys that really love trying to help guys like me solve little mysteries about their cars know a lot and have a passion for these early Fords like you. They love sharing!! What a fun Hobby!!! I won't go deep into the crux of my Ford Barn thread, but the initial issue is with those motor mounts. I've pretty much concluded that my engine may have been a stray one from a possible group of engines used up later in the production lines of early 1933. My block has a flat front, straight vertical 90 degree petcock underneath and early generator (post) and fuel pump, carb (Detroit Lube). All telltales of early (Fall of '32). Can't get great pix of the front right now, so tried to highlite what would be pertinent here. The number on the trannie cover has the 18-, just like your 5W coupe. Guess I could say mine's a March car based largely on the motor mount fact.

David J    -- 01-06-2015 @ 1:28 PM
  Robb , No need for the front of motor pics as you answered my questions about that . What is fascinating about your car is that it is NOT a early skirtless one but it has a serial # way out of place . I would be interested in a pic of the front crossmember - even just from under the front . Crossmembers are different 33-34 and it is real easy to tell . As mentioned clutch-brake pedal assys are very different also but that is still there on my 5w and it is 295xxx range or May if you will . FWIW I really like 33's and yours is yet another reason . MANY changes in 1933 production . Pic is the May production 4D with star 40 dash 6 digit number . Not the only one like it but not common . Tranny was from a july 33 car and did not match . Dave

33Deluxe    -- 01-06-2015 @ 6:41 PM
  Hi Dave,
The picture is great. Very nice Standard 4D survivor! Thanks very much.
I appreciate your shared info and comments and will try to take the best pix I can of that X-member. Stay tuned. I'm not sure what I'm looking for on the pedal differences, so I will be doing some reading. Photos coming your way ASAP.
Robb

David J    -- 01-07-2015 @ 2:12 PM
  After looking at your water outlet pic you do have a 33 cross member . It should be riveted in as 33 crossmembers were not sold as service parts . Way weaker than 34's . On a different note are your brake-clutch pedal pads scr*w*d on or do they have nuts on them ?

33Deluxe    -- 01-07-2015 @ 2:38 PM
  Hi Dave,
So glad you could determine the year of my X-member. Moments ago I was out in the freezing garage on the floor with my cell phone trying to snap multiple shots of the X-member. Totally crazy! It's -5 degrees here and my chest nearly froze to the concrete. The pix turned out cr*ppy.

The pedals are a different story. That will be easy to see what I have. Give me a half hour and I will give you the answer.

Thanks again for responding!

ford38v8    -- 01-07-2015 @ 2:48 PM
  David & Robb, Forgive me for butting in here in a subject I have no knowledge of, but I have a suggestion that may help explain the skirts on the early serial number: Perhaps the car had been involved in a minor fender bender after the early skirtless fenders were no longer available, in which case both fenders would have been replaced with the later skirted fenders?

Alan

David J    -- 01-07-2015 @ 4:57 PM
  Hey Alan , I see you are one of the few that crossover from the dark side !!!! Anywayz the skirtless fender thing involves more than just the fenders . The real issue here is his serial # is way out of wack with the 33 model year . His car [ pics would really help ] is looking like a fairly normal earlish 33 that happened to get a 32 motor - serial # . The front crossmember says a lot and it will say a lot more if riveted in . More to uncover yet and the questions about the heads is important as 32 did not use aluminum . Pic is my 5w and it has the no-markings type head DavidG talked about . The dipstick is also 33 only and is laying on the intake . The waterpump is a normal 33-34 one and 32 ones are noticeably taller . Dave BTW it's a balmy -8^F here 50 miles NE of St Paul MN ADDING Your 2 new pics on Fordbarn show it to clearly be a 33 crossmember RIVETED in and looking like it has always been there . The heads you describe are one of the early types - the pic here is the other type . I see your inner fender panel has a hole through the 33 only dimple . Does the fender have a hole also . That hole is for the early type fender brace rod that goes on the crank hole casting . FASCINATING CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

This message was edited by David J on 1-7-15 @ 8:03 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8076