Topic: 1936 Ford steering arm

Freoway    -- 12-30-2014 @ 11:47 PM
  Hi folks. I recently bought a '36 Ford roadster (RHD) in Australia. I guess it's the same as a US model, but not 100% sure. It's very original as far as I can make out. It has the 21 bolt flathead V8. The steering is very heavy and the car wanders around the road (doesn't pull). The steering arm has a lot of play in it at the drag link end. There's also minor play in the tie-rod ends. Can these steering arms be rebuilt? Or can a steering arm be sourced somewhere? I had a look online but couldn't find anything.

Cheers, Lloyd

40 Coupe    -- 12-31-2014 @ 3:41 AM
  I am not sure if the RHD used a different steering arm (pitman) than the LHD? I would think so. Look at the arm carefully and see if you can find the part number embossed in the metal. For LHD 48-3590-RP
It is very unusual for the tie rod end hole to be enlarged! The hole is tapered as well the tie rod end, the should only fit together one way. I would think you should have no problem finding the RHD parts here in USA. For the LHD the pitman arm is the same as 35 Ford. During the 35 model year there was a change to the arm to eliminate play in the steering at the center position. Make sure you get the 36 version.
Steering arms with enlarged holes or well used tie rod ends on the tie rod or the drag link are best replaced and not reworked.

trjford8    -- 12-31-2014 @ 8:06 AM
  Are the ends lose in the arms or are the ends worn and loose. If they are loose in the arms it may be they were not tightened down correctly. If it's an old original car it's more than likely that many of the steering parts are worn out. Put the front end up on jack stands and then start moving the steering parts to see what is loose. It sounds like there may be several worn parts.

Don Rogers    -- 12-31-2014 @ 2:37 PM
  Freoway, The 1936 right hand drive vehicles had a mix of parts. Here is a list of steering components for a RHD vehicle:
48-3590 Pitman Arm LH or RH drive
48-3281 Connecting rod tube LH or RH drive
48-3289 RH tie rod end LH or RH drive
48-F-3290 LH tie rod end RH drive only
68-F-3306 Drag Link RH drive only
48-F-3290 Adj Drag Link end RH drive only
68-F-3105 RH spindle RH drive only
68-F-3106 LH spindle RH drive only

Source: 1936 Canadian Chassis parts list

Freoway    -- 01-01-2015 @ 1:05 AM
  That's fantastic advice. I'll search on the information you've supplied. Thanks again and Happy NY to all. Cheers, Lloyd

barrhavencobra    -- 01-01-2015 @ 6:18 PM
  Hello Lloyd, just checked out the image of your car, it looks great.

Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8061