Topic: replacing a '36 pan gasket

fenbach    -- 12-26-2014 @ 4:21 PM
  what's the best way to replace the pan gasket on a '36 LB engine? can the pan be removed easily, or if not, could i clean it and replace the gasket by just dropping the pan a few inches? thanks.

TomO    -- 12-27-2014 @ 8:34 AM
  The best way to replace the pan gasket is to remove the engine, mount it on a stand by the exhaust ports, turn it upside down and replace the gasket.

It can be done in the car by raising the front of the engine, dropping the radius rod, removing the starter and then the oil pan. You may have to turn the crankshaft to get clearance at the front of the engine.

You can use High Tack gasket cement to hold the gasket in place on the pan. I also like to add a couple of pieces of thread through the bolt holes and gasket as extra insurance.

Tom

fenbach    -- 01-04-2015 @ 4:13 PM
  thanks tom. I think i'll put a new piece of cardboard down on the floor!

TomO    -- 01-05-2015 @ 6:52 AM
  Remember, "If a Ford is not leaking oil, it is out of oil"

I would not use cardboard, it becomes a fire hazard when soaked with oil. Use the mats sold at Pep Boys or a flat metal pan designed for oil leaks.

Where is you car leaking oil and how much?

Tom

fenbach    -- 01-07-2015 @ 8:10 PM
  thanks tom for the good advice on safety. I've come close to burning the house down enough times already.
but i really don't get all that much oil on the cardboard. just enough to be annoying. and the oil appears to be leaking past the front crank seal after all. i won't consider replacing that until i start seeing puddles of oil.

This message was edited by fenbach on 1-7-15 @ 8:44 PM

42wagon    -- 01-09-2015 @ 8:04 AM
  If its not leaking its probably out of oil or not a Ford

1934 Ford    -- 01-10-2015 @ 9:29 PM
  We use cardboard too, but change it often. Cardboard is like old Ford leaks, it just keeps coming. I put indoor/outdoor carpet on my aluminum trailer with snaps to remove when stored because oil on aluminum is really slippery, and looks serious.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8043