Topic: Dash Knobs

sunflower    -- 12-20-2014 @ 6:20 AM
  I want to change my old dash knobs would anyone know how to remove the old knobs? the choke and throtle are no problen I"m talking the dash light switch, cigar lighter, radio, and under dash ashtray. Thanks s.

40 Coupe    -- 12-20-2014 @ 7:16 AM
  What year vehicle?? Lets assume 35,6,7 Dash light: Mark on the shaft where the original knob stops so you can insert the new knob to the correct depth on the shaft Take a Dremel tool and use a cut off wheel remove just the plastic off the original steel shaft then fit the new knob with slight pressure and glue it onto the original shaft. Don't use super glue it sets too fast.
Lighter: the black base will unscrew from the knob and the replacement will screw on.
Radio: pull the old knobs straight off they have a small metal insert. Align the new knob and press it on the original shaft.
Under dash ash tray: Ford did have an accessory ash tray, but they don't make a replacement knob for it. Look through catalogs and see if the 1933-34 ash tray knob looks right (dark red brown with a slight black swirl). This knob is held in place with a small screw through the ash tray.

sunflower    -- 12-20-2014 @ 1:03 PM
  Good information 40Coupe just what I needed to know thanks.s

Drbrown    -- 12-28-2014 @ 11:16 AM
  Would this procedure apply to a '47 ?

keith oh    -- 01-10-2015 @ 8:04 AM
  I have been able to remove them by heating them with a heat gun to the point of just being able to still touch them then they will pull off.

Old Henry    -- 01-24-2015 @ 9:56 PM
  I have also heard of installing the knobs by heating the shaft until the knob will push on by slightly melting the hole in the knob then letting it cool and the knob is there to stay. Haven't tried it yet but will someday. I also have a couple of knobs to replace.

ken ct.    -- 01-24-2015 @ 10:10 PM
  I have an under dash ash tray and the knob is about the same shape as the dash lite switch but smaller. About size and shape as the knobs on a Wooden Machinst tool box.I think their metal though (you could paint them color of the other ones) to match. Just an option ken ct.

ken ct.    -- 01-24-2015 @ 10:13 PM
  PS. you might be able to come close by looking at Home Depot cabinate knobs section they have hundreds of diff ones. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8027