Topic: Original-look radial tires?

1935ford    -- 12-17-2014 @ 6:44 PM
  I plan to re-tire my '35 sedan this winter, and am considering radial tires, specifically 600R16 whitewalls having essentially the same dimensions as bias ply tires. Would appreciate members input on their experiences, sources, recommendations, etc.
Thanks! - Roger J.

RIrover    -- 12-17-2014 @ 7:03 PM
  I put the Coker radials on a few years back. And it is like I have a new suspension system. I am pleased
40 ford deluxe station wagon. (we always said beach wagon)

regards,
David B Campbell

ford1ford    -- 12-17-2014 @ 7:09 PM
  I have had them on my 35 tudor for ten years they work great you will lovemm

joe b    -- 12-18-2014 @ 5:46 AM
  Another site had many who liked tires purchased from Summit Racing. The shipping charges were very low compared to other vendors. You might check them out.

TomO    -- 12-18-2014 @ 8:05 AM
  You might take into consideration that radial tires are more expensive than bias ply tires and that unless you drive 8,000 miles a year, you will have to discard them with a lot of tread on them.

I have bias ply tires on both of my cars, because I do not drive them enough to offset the extra cost. The ride depend upon the tire manufacturer and the age of the tires. Older tires become hard, losing ride comfort and traction.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-18-14 @ 8:08 AM

wmsteed    -- 12-18-2014 @ 10:35 AM
  I have been running steel belted radial tires on every vehicle I have owned since the early '70's. As a general rule they have always been tubeless type..
From my point of view it's a safety issue. Most people do not realize that their life can depend on the quality of the tires on the vehicle.
The majority of motorists will put the best tires on the steering axle, not realizing that a tire issue on the front axle can be controlled via the steering wheel, whereas a blowout on a rear axle is uncontrollable..
On two occasions, when I was young and doing a lot of drag racing, I observed blow-outs on a rear tire which result in a loss of vehicle control and a vehicle rollover.
I getting ready to put my '36 coupe back in service after having been parked in the corner of the garage for two many years. I'm going to replace a near new set of WW 600x16's with a set of radials.. Not sure of the brand yet..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

len47merc    -- 12-18-2014 @ 11:47 AM
  Another possible consideration with input from current or former judges appreciated - should anyone choose to have their car judged at some point in the future after installing original-look radials, does this tire style merit the same point value as original bias plies? Or should one expect deductions for lack of originality, assuming this aspect is being judged in the class/area the vehicle is entered (e.g., Rouge class - chassis area through full Concourse/Dearborn, etc.)?

Steve

trjford8    -- 12-19-2014 @ 7:11 AM
  If you want the maximum number of points you need to be as close to OEM as possible. Radials of any kind will cost you points if they catch it. You take your chances with the "look alikes".

Don Rogers    -- 12-19-2014 @ 7:49 AM
  If you want a radial with the same basic dimensions as a 600 x 16 bias ply tire then you need a 195/80R16

A white wall can be found at:
http://www.dbtires.com/newproducts.html

A modern blackwall can be found at:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/17790680?www=true&productRedirect=true

JT Ford    -- 12-19-2014 @ 8:50 AM
  I put a set of Diamond Back radials on my '49 two years ago and I love them. They might look a little different than bias tires but they are much nicer to drive with. You can not get a 4 inchs wide whitewall but thats OK with me. I only show it in Touring Class anyway. I don't drive much over 2,000 miles a year and
I don't figure on getting new ones for several more years.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8019