Topic: Judges Opinions Wanted: Tire Valve Stem Caps/Cover

VT/JeffH    -- 12-17-2014 @ 10:41 AM
  Hi Everyone, First, Thanks to everyone that makes this club work so well. I have so much fun at the National Meets, and the members of my RG (#36) are treasured friends. The people who run the National Club (past & present), and the webmaster here, RG newsletter editors, the folks who sweat out the V8 Times, and National Meet hosts all get a great big THANK YOU from me.

When I've done judging in the past (35-36 team), I've always taken the Chassis page of the judging packet, so wheels and tires are my call. I don't like being unsure about how to approach point deductions.

Here's the purpose of my post, I'm wondering what y'all think the Concourse Judging correct setup is for Tire Valve Stem Caps?

P. 91 of the Swanberg/Rogers '35-'36 book states: "From examination of factory photos, it appears that the caps on all of the wheels were domed. It is quite possible, however, that any combination of domed or valve stem remover cap could have been supplied."

I don't have the ability to check any of the other books right now.

The judging sheet lists "Standard Deduction Points: 3 - All Wrong Valve Caps."

What do the restoration book authors and Deputy Judges out there have to say on this topic?

-Jeff H

trjford8    -- 12-17-2014 @ 5:06 PM
  Jeff as a Deputy Judge on occasion I would approach it from this perspective; if the caps are "era" correct I would not dock them any points. The book statement indicates that there is the possibility of other types of caps. Ford did not make valve caps and they came from outside sources. Most sources were close to the assembly plants and Ford used whatever helped get the car through the assembly line. I think unless we know for sure that Ford used a certain type of part we should not make a deduction. Some years ago I saw a '36 roadster that had the smooth firewall on one side and the one with the X on the other side. There was no evidence the car had ever been wrecked or had any major body work. A case that Ford used up whatever was left.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-17-14 @ 5:07 PM

ford38v8    -- 12-17-2014 @ 6:16 PM
  I support Tom's assessment of the question. I also feel that the somewhat vaque reference on the judging sheet represents a healthy outlook that is repeated elsewhere on the judging sheets, thereby promoting ongoing discussion and research. Further, although the club's books are invaluable to restorers, they do not now nor have they ever had the last word on what is correct for any Ford product. That responsibility belongs to the Chief Judge with the guidance and support of the Judging Standards Committee.

That being said, I would be inclined to give a nod to a car having all identical caps, and a discrepancy note without deduction to those without. I feel that to display a car with differing caps would be an unrealistic demonstration of the unlikely, rather than the most likely.

Alan

TomO    -- 12-18-2014 @ 8:27 AM
  In the 40's most of the cars came with one cap that could remove the valve stem. This was usually on the spare. I believe that quite a few cars in the 30's also had the same configuration.

When I was judging, I would let either configuration of metal caps pass with no point deduction. I doubt that the assembly line would slow down just to get the correct cap or that the dealer prep always caught the error, when the tires were checked.

I agree with the quote from the 35-36 book.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-18-14 @ 8:28 AM

trjford8    -- 12-19-2014 @ 10:06 AM
  TomO brings up a good point regarding the cap on the spare to remove the vale core. It goes right along with the fact that Henry included tire irons in the tool kits. A lot of tubes got patched along side of the road miles from nowhere.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8016