Topic: !935 Slantback 2 door

vetcol    -- 02-13-2010 @ 4:01 PM
  Looking at a 35 2 door slantback, the body is in primer and a solid car. Does anybody have an idea of value?

trjford8    -- 02-14-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  vetcol, we need more info. Does it have a motor, trans, fenders,seats,etc? Also need condition, rust out,good floors,any previous damage,etc. Does it have a clear title? It's tough to give a value without a complete description or photos. Also let us know the asking price.

vetcol    -- 02-14-2010 @ 1:36 PM
  The car doesn't have a interior, motor, trany, etc. It is basically a sh*ll with a clear title. It has a straight frame and body. Doesn't show any signs of rust or of being hit in any way.
Asking price is $5000

This message was edited by vetcol on 2-14-10 @ 1:37 PM

ford38v8    -- 02-14-2010 @ 5:59 PM
  Vetcol, without addressing the seller's asking price directly, I'll point you in the direction of cost to put it on the road:
You'll have a merry time finding an interior, and then will still need upholstery. Big bucks.
The driveline will be easier to find, but would be a bargain at 5k.
I'd never trust someone else's primer, as it can temporarily hide a lot of sins.
The final paint job itself will cost a bundle.
Then there's running boards, hardware, windows, and trim.
After all is tallied up, I think a complete car would cost you less, and you wouldn't have 4 parts cars rusting in the back yard.

Alan

trjford8    -- 02-14-2010 @ 7:11 PM
  I would say $2000 tops. As Al has pointed out there's a ton of money to be put into this car. Upholstery kit plus the cost of the front seats(if you can find them) plus the rear springs with wood framing will cost you about $4500. Rebuilt flathead will cost about $4000-5000. Rebuilt trans about $400-500. A good paint job, if you have to pay for it to be done, is at least $5000. then there's wheels, tires , tubes, rebuilt rear end and front end plus a bunch of small parts(glass, window channel kits, etc) will probably add up to another $5000-6000. If you do the math you will have about $23,000 in the car plus about 4 years worth of work. You can find a restored runner for $17,000-22,000 and have an instant driver. If you are over the age of 50 it's a good idea to buy a finished car unless you have a lot of energy. A guy in my regional group just bought a nice 38 tudor for $13,000 and drove it home.I've built several cars and speak from experience that buying a project is very expensive and the price of parts continues to go up.

wmsteed    -- 02-15-2010 @ 1:15 PM
  In a nut sh*ll....Don't buy an incomplete vehicle with the thought of restoring it unless you have lots of time, patience and MONEY!!
It seems as how everything connected with the restoration of an old car has a price range between $5,000/$7,000.
If you find an engine for $300. it will cost you 5k plus by the time you get it properly rebuilt. Even if you have the skills/tools to do much of the work yourself you will still end up with $25/$35k in a car worth $15/$20k... If you convince yourself that it is a good investment, WRONG, cars are never a good investment.
As it has already been said....If you want an old car, go find a running driving car that you can enjoy, pay the price and drive it home, you will be money ahead, and when you tire of it because it is just a smelly old car that your wife refuses to ride in, you can sell it for close to what you paid for the thing.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

vetcol    -- 02-16-2010 @ 8:41 AM
  Thanks for all the info, very helpfull. I allready have a 35 2 door sedan humpback, and you helped me make a decision on restoring that one also. I allready have 4 flathead motors, 3 tranny's, a set of running boards with new nos mats.
I also have many extra parts allready, starters, generaters, water pumps, wheels, heads, cranks, and many other misc. parts. I thought I would get a pair (humpback & slantback). Also have 3 sets of interior seats (front & back). Brand new front mat.
Also a box full of carbs.

Thanks For The Info.

This message was edited by vetcol on 2-16-10 @ 8:49 AM

wmsteed    -- 02-16-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  Oppp's... I pasted the wrong pic yesterday. I had intended to paste a pic of a 35-36 Ford sitting in a wrecking yard in Idaho, instead I pasted a pic of a 35 Plym in Montana...
Either everyone was being kind and not taking me to task for my oversight, or maybe....????
The car I have now pasted a pic of belonged to a little old lady in Idaho... She was the local "spinster school Marm" that lived in the apartment that was attached to the one room school house.
The car was kept in a shed on the school property and only driven to church on Sundays. A distance of .5 miles over an unimproved road. Needless to say the unimproved road took it's toll on the car.
The car needs some work, however, the body has no rust-out...the rodents used up the interior many years ago.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

vetcol    -- 02-16-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  A pic of my humpback

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=800