Topic: tow hitch

tubetype    -- 12-13-2014 @ 8:05 AM
  51 ford victoria. Is a tow hitch available and/or advisable. Intended for a small trailer, no larger that the small one used by U haul.

BUD

TomO    -- 12-13-2014 @ 8:43 AM
  You should be able to tow a trailer with the 51 Victoria. Back in the day, many of them towed pop-up camping trailers with just a bumper hitch.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 12-15-2014 @ 11:17 AM
  It is very true that "back in the day" it was very common to tow a light weight trailer on a bumper hitch, however, as a general rule a re-enforcing bar was added to the bumper, generally on the backside.
The bumper hitches did not look to neat on the back of a car, however, if a person was just hauling hogs to town, who cared.
In this day and age I would suggest that you have a modern receiver hitch built for your car, the 1-1/2" style for a light trailer is not that noticeable when the receiver is not in place. An added benefit of the receiver type of hitch is that everything is attached to the frame, including the safety chains..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 12-17-2014 @ 8:18 AM
  I saw an event on the freeway yesterday morning that would make the average person think twice about hooking a trailer to the back of a light weight vehicle (1/2 ton pickup, etc}..
The trailer was a light weight single axle utility trailer, a 4 x 4 vehicle, looked like a Toyota FJ, was loaded on the trailer.. The rear wheels of the FJ just barely fit onto the trailer which meant that there was a considerable amount of overhang on the trailer, which diminished any tongue weight that the trailer might of had.
I was several cars away from the event when it actually happened, it appeared that the trailer started to whip,resulting in the trailer being the led vehicle, because the outfit did a 180. The whole outfit ended up off of the pavement, upside down with the driver hanging through the windshield. No seat belt.. Not a pretty picture.
Seeing an event like what I just described really drives home the importance of a good hitch, proper tow vehicle and some common sense as to how and what is loaded on the trailer..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

tubetype    -- 12-17-2014 @ 6:05 PM
  Thanks wmsteed , I will have a proper hitch installed and tow small or will not tow at all.

BUD

TomO    -- 12-18-2014 @ 8:34 AM
  I think that Bill's point was to also make sure that you have the load distributed correctly. Most of the weight should be nearer the tongue than the back of the trailer. If your trailer starts to act up, SLOW DOWN and pull over to redistribute the weight. Speeding up to stabilize the trailer will just make the situation much worse in a hurry.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 12-18-2014 @ 9:50 AM
  It is absolutely amazing to me how many vehicles I see on the road that are pulling a trailer where the tow vehicle and trailer are in a "V", i.e. the tow vehicle dragging it's tail because of excess tongue weight on a to light of a vehicle/trailer.
The tow vehicle and trailer should always be in a straight line, which equalizes the loads on the chassis and axle (s) of both vehicles..
It is really hard to say what is worse, to much, or to little tongue weight.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 12-18-14 @ 9:53 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7999