Topic: Taking apart a cigar lighter

1934 Ford    -- 02-13-2010 @ 8:36 AM
  Odd question, but I don't want to break it.
My car has a cigar lighter with a glass jewel in the end so that you can see the glow when its hot enough to light a cigar.
Now I want to put a light behind the jewel, in place of the lighter element, and as a turn signal indicator light. (I've noticed young drivers think I'm shooting them the bird when making arm signals to turn)
With 34 lighters becoming scarce as hens teeth I hope
somebody remembers how to get the element out.
Do you know how?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-13-2010 @ 10:54 AM
  HI
It should just unscrew,
the elements as far as I remember had a stud on them.or the knob had the stud with treads,
either way they should just unscrew,
just be carefull,maybe someone else with weigh in,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

1934 Ford    -- 02-13-2010 @ 12:05 PM
  The element is in the knob, right behind the "jewel".
There appears to be a split ring at the bottom which may take some kind of special snap ring plier.
I'd rather have some experienced advice than a broken 76 year old lighter knob.

supereal    -- 02-13-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  I understand about hand signals. Some simply wave back, others without all fingers showing. As a certified "old coot", I prefer to use a buzzer instead of a light to let me know if the turn signals are on, as a light isn't usually bright enough to see in daylight, anyway. Radio Shack usually has buzzers or beepers available. If you don't have a three prong flasher in your system, you can feed the buzzer thru a pair of diodes, one to each side's circuit.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-13-2010 @ 1:33 PM
  on second thought,
I would come up with a different idea,
you are still going to ruin the original lighter,
my 37 has a screw out element,and was replacable,
Last lighter I had with the center that lite up was for 33 PIERCE SILVER ARROW,I just had the lighter not the car,
why not use a differnt light or a buzzer like superreal said,
you could mount a the warning light to the bottom of dash,even with a magnet,so you could remove it,
just my 2 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

trjford8    -- 02-14-2010 @ 8:23 AM
  By now the eye in your original lighter has probably discolored and the body is brittle. If you call C and G Parts they have a repo 33-34 lighter for $25. It is non-functional as a lighter. Put your original on the shelf and adapt the repo for your turn signal light. Just for info if you want to use a turn signal switch that looks good on your column try to find a switch from an early VW or VW bus. I think 57-62. They clamp on the column and will fit near the bottom of the steering wheel. I saw one on a 34 roadster and it almost looked like it was from the Ford factory. They are a little tough to find,but occasionally show up at swap meets.

1934 Ford    -- 02-14-2010 @ 4:43 PM
  Well I'm no lighter mechanic, so don't ask me to fix yours. But I cut the heat element and removed it. Then I was able to cut out the element base and
removed the big spring under it. Next I cleaned the back of the jewel and inserted a Super Bright LED light with a resistor to let it work off 6 Volts.
Now it looks like a stock cigar lighter but, it flashes with the turn signals.
No more old guy driving with his turn signal flashing because I didn't have self canceling signals with a indicator I couldn't see. Now everybody in the car will tell me "Your Turn Signal is On"
Project completed.

trjford8    -- 02-14-2010 @ 7:16 PM
  Good job and thanks for letting us know how you made it work.

danbook    -- 01-19-2011 @ 10:49 PM
  dude do what others said maybe it can help you honestly don't be afraid to repair your cars problem you will learn from mistakes...and also seek more advice to older people or whoever that knows how to fix it..try to observe..like me the last time i needed a turn signal assembly and i don't know that the h*ll is that part but someone help me what that is and what does it do on my car...just telling my experience,goodluck for fixing your turn signal

40 Coupe    -- 01-20-2011 @ 3:47 AM
  there are two different lighters. The 33 style has a larger well and the interior of the lighter does unscrew, look for two square recesses on the inside of the lighter. The 34 style has a smaller well that is very thin, the smaller diameter lighter for this well does not come apart, it does not have the square recesses.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=799