Topic: Early Ford title search

nvjonkey    -- 12-08-2014 @ 8:20 AM
  I have a 1934 Ford pickup truck with a 6 digit frame number. On my current title, this number is used for identification.

Does anyone out there in Ford land know of an outfit who can research older Ford titles and/or registrations to determine prior owners.

Thanks, Bill

wmsteed    -- 12-08-2014 @ 10:35 AM
  There is absolutely no way to trace former owners, point of origin, etc., on any old car. The only option is if you had a record book on the vehicle that had been maintained by a former owner (s), which very few people ever kept.
The one variable is the slight possibility that the vehicle had been reported stolen, maybe even forty plus years ago.
There is a registry for stolen vehicles which is never cleared until the vehicle is recovered..The one glitch to this possibility is; if the vehicle was registered with an engine and/or body number, in lieu of it's actual serial number, engine and/or body numbers are not trackable, only a serial number is..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

woodiewagon46    -- 12-08-2014 @ 12:06 PM
  The early Ford chassis and engine numbers were just that, numbers. Later on the numbers got more informative such as where the car was built, body and interior colors etc. I actually found the gentleman that serviced my '46 Woodie from 1946 until 1963 by the name and address on a lubrication sticker on the "A" pillar.. He was able to tell me who the owner was up until 1963. Unless you have some kind of paper trail or know the names of past owners it's probably impossible. Good luck!

supereal    -- 12-09-2014 @ 2:28 PM
  Federal privacy laws now make researching ownership virtually impossible. I did a lien search several years ago when I suspected a seller was shady. It came back showing five unpaid liens! These can cost, but will save big bucks if the vehicle was stolen. A couple of years ago an owner found a pickup that was stolen almost 20 years ago. He had proof of ownership and all those who thought they had owned it were out of luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7984