Topic: Wanted parts scam

bvlljoe    -- 12-04-2014 @ 9:00 PM
  Don't know if this is the proper place for this but beware of a scam where someone responds to your wanted posting. A jhollandsparesoutlet@gmail.com responded to my want ad for aluminum V8-60 cylinder heads. A long story, but after a week of correspondence I got an email from him saying my parts were being held in Nigeria Customs and it would take another $100.00 to release them! Lesson - NEVER use Moneygram or Western Union AND buy only from a registered V8 Club member.

ken ct.    -- 12-04-2014 @ 11:00 PM
  I just got an offer for a part from a psmithoutlet989@gmail.com wanting payment by Western Union or MoneyGram. Might be same fella ??? ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 12-04-2014 @ 11:44 PM
  We always think everyone knows of these scams, but it's really surprising how many guys have never heard of them and lose a bundle to the con artists. The proof that it works is how many times we continue to hear of them. Thanks for posting and helping to stop this behavior. May we all be rid of them before we lose our shirts to them.

Alan

bvlljoe    -- 12-05-2014 @ 12:27 PM
  I would be very careful. I don't like the email address with "outlet" and on gmail. Google the address, see if it looks like a legit place, not a business. I would never send a moneygram or western union $$'s again. They don't want money orders. I think that's because money order fraud is a federal offense. Moneygram, nobody cares. The paper work moneygram gives you even says "don't send a moneygram if you don't know the party". You get this after you pay! Good luck. Joe.

trjford8    -- 12-05-2014 @ 4:30 PM
  For some reason these "jokers" hit the want ads on this site. I recently posted a want ad and got a response from Mr.Holland. This is the third time he has responded to one of my e-mails. Unfortunately these scammers make it difficult for our overseas members to buy and sell in the US. The last time I was looking for original '40 standard bumper irons I got a response from this guy who said he had them and then sent me a photo that was taken right out of the Bob Drake catalog. These guys don't give up as they "make a score" once in awhile. I can't emphasize enough to not send money via Western Union or a Money-Gram.
Your best bet is to deal strictly with guys who are V-8 Club members that are listed in the club roster. Keep on your toes and when in doubt talk with a friend or come here and ask questions first.

efv8    -- 12-09-2014 @ 6:26 AM
  ALL;
I certainly don't want to add fuel to this topic, but today (12/9/14) the Early Ford V-8 Club website email address got a Blocked SPAM email reply entitled: "Get you money back from Nigeria". Because it came in under the Blocked SPAM, I did not even try to open it (it was listed as HIGH Risk). It got flushed. The key to notice here, is that it came to the EFV-8C email address as RE:, which means that I have already responded to it (definitely not the case). This was just another tactic to make one believe that they have already opened the email, and it was safe.
So, I would suggest that everyone, take that extra minute and think about any transaction that you are going to do with regards to the internet.

Bruce Nelson
Web Administrator

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7974