Topic: 8BA won't re-start after hot shut off

Kiwi47    -- 02-13-2010 @ 12:22 AM
  My 49r has a problem - after a run of an hour or so when everything is nice and hot and we stop for a break of an hour or two, the car re-starts like a dream, however, after she has drunk all of the fuel out of the carby float bowl, she stops. The only way to get her up and running again is to manually re-fill the float bowl - remove the air filter, carefully squirt petrol down the conveniently placed tube in the carburetor's throat that leads directly into the bowl (and which is so handy for allowing petrol to evaporate away when the car stands idle for a week) using an old 3-in-One oil bottle and then, using controlled force, apply a carefully selected spanner to the region of the float needle housing on the carby, chanting the usual special incantation (start you old ratbag). Successful re-start every time.

I had originally fitted one of the float needles with a soft black point (included in a kit from C&G) and thought that the problem might be the soft point sticking in the needle housing. A fellow EFV8 member picked up an NOS all metal needle from The Early Ford Store in San Dimas which I then fitted. Unfortunately the same old problem continued.

The fuel pump appears to be putting out a good stream of petrol (tried the old disconnect the fuel line at the carby and stick it in a container then crank the engine trick). I'm about to check the pump's with a fuel pressure gauge but honestly think that the pump is OK.

Suggestions as to what might be going on will be much appreciated. It being summer at the moment here "down under" in New Zealand, we really want to get out and have fun in the good old Ford.

Thank you.

trjford8    -- 02-13-2010 @ 8:03 AM
  Looking at the symptoms it appears that the needle is still sticking in the seat. I noticed that you changed the needle, but did not mention changing the seat.Did you change the seat?

ford38v8    -- 02-13-2010 @ 8:25 AM
  Kiwi, you have covered all the usual causes for your problem, so I'll step into some guesswork here.

Heat soak after shutdown may cause your fuel to expand, forcing your float into the topmost position, where it hangs up on the wall of the chamber, keeping the needle closed until you give it a whack with your spanner wrench.

Pull your air horn again, recheck the float level, and pay careful attention to the setting and adjustment of the float with regard to clearance during operation, and particularly at the top (closed) position while applying a bit of additional pressure to the float.

Alan

supereal    -- 02-13-2010 @ 10:14 AM
  You need to check both fuel pressure and quantity, as you can have ample pressure (2-3 pounds) but inadequate fuel delivery. Heat soak after shutdown evaporates the fuel in the bowl which, given the displacement of the float, doesn't hold much reserve. It is possible that your fuel pump is working, but the line is constricted by rust or dirt, or the gas cap isn't vented properly. The problem doesn't appear as you drive because the engine speed works the pump more rapidly than while cranking.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-13-2010 @ 11:14 AM
  8BA
you can disconect the fuel line on fuelpump going back to the tank, hook up a fuel line and
use another tank, a 2 gal can ,[ I WOULD USE A OUTBOARD FUEL TANK, with fresh gas in it,]going directly going to the fuel pump, will do ,run a line into that [place a distance from car,becarefull of fires,, run the engine,shut it off does it restart?
by doing this you have eliminated the fuel line coming from the tank and the tank,
if it runs, your problem is somewhere in that area,
if it does not start you problem is in the fuel pump or carb, like Sherlock Holmes said process of elimination,
HOPE this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

Kiwi47    -- 02-13-2010 @ 12:00 PM
  Hi, good thought but yes, I changed the seat. Thank you

Kiwi47    -- 02-13-2010 @ 12:06 PM
  Gentlemen, Thank you all for your solutions. I'll get out to the garage and get onto all of them. Under my earlier guise as Kiwi49 (somehow I managed to mess up my log-in and needed to re-register - now Kiwi47) I received excellent advice from my fellow V8ers and you have once again proved the strength of fellowship that exists in Fordland. Cheers.

bigvince    -- 02-17-2010 @ 3:29 AM
  If you're getting fuel once it is started, sounds like a fuel peculation problem. Fuel may be evaporating due to engine heat. Use to see this when I worked at Holley Carburetor thirty years ago. Try putting a thicker gasket at the carburetor to intake manifold ratherr than the simple thin paper gasket. Something about an 1/8 of an inch thick.

51f1    -- 02-17-2010 @ 4:22 AM
  I don't know what's causing the problem you wrote about, but the fuel in your float bowl shouldn't evaporate after a week. My 8RT (8BA) engine will start immediately after sitting several weeks or even months. Maybe that's related to your problem.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=796