Topic: 1938 Rear Seal Replacement

Frosty    -- 11-28-2014 @ 2:37 PM
  Pulled the LH rear drum on my 1938 fordor and found oil had leaked out of the tube into the drum area.
I've searched the internet looking for a good drawing of the assembly, but from what I've found I'm not 100% sure where the seal is located. I've been told I'll have to remove the tube from the center section.
Can anyone give me some advice on removing & re-installing a seal? Or point me in the right direction for a write-up?
Thanks.

This message was edited by Frosty on 11-28-14 @ 2:38 PM

kubes40    -- 11-28-2014 @ 5:26 PM
  Frosty, The seal is rather easy to replace. Removing the axle housing is a bit more troubling.
The seal is located within the axle housing - very near the end of the axle.
Once the housing has been removed, simply knock out the old seal. Then, to install the new seal, a special "driver" is necessary Most of the repop parts stores sell them. Seems to me C&G has them for around $8.
The driver is threaded on to a piece of 1/2 pipe and the seal subsequently placed over the driver. One simply fits the seal to the opening and hammers "it home".
Good seals are readily available.
If you feel you need photos, let me know and I can send them to you.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Frosty    -- 11-28-2014 @ 8:16 PM
  Thanks "Kube": Which end of the housing/axle? Next to the diff? A few pictures would be appreciated. You could send them to: alfrost@telus.net

CharlieStephens    -- 11-28-2014 @ 9:19 PM
  The seal is at the opposite end from the diff. Remember that the gaskets where the axle housings mount to the center section are also shims for adjusting the rear end, be sure to replace with the same thickness that was there when you took it apart (assuming the wear pattern on the gears is good). See http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_rearend-pics/Flathead_Rear_Axle_Assy_1938to48.jpg
for drawing. Part 4245 on the drawing is the seal (it is called "Retainer assembly (rear axle shaft grease)" in the Green Bible). You should see a polished area on the rear axle near the outer end from the seal riding on it. If you know someone that rebuilds rear ends you might ask if they have a tool for removing the seal.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-28-14 @ 9:57 PM

kubes40    -- 11-29-2014 @ 6:13 AM
  Charlie answered your question about which end. Looking back, I see I was not too clear. Sorry.
You can remove the old seal with a straight blade screwdriver and hammer.
Mike

Frosty    -- 11-29-2014 @ 7:53 AM
  Thanks Charlie for the explanation, and Mike, I didn't think it through before I asked which end.
I was going to ask how to get it out and you've answered that as well, thanks.

Al Frost

supereal    -- 11-30-2014 @ 2:15 PM
  Leakage of oil into the backing plates is often due to overfilling of the rear end. Transmission oil migrates down the torque tube, ending up in the differential housing. That is why you often find the transmission oil low, and the rear end overfilled when you pull the filler plug on the rear end. Let the excess run out until it stops. If refilling, keep the level slightly below the plug hole. This may stop the leak and save you from a big job of pulling and disassembling the axle.

wmsteed    -- 12-01-2014 @ 9:17 AM
  A much easier solution to a leaking rear axle seal is two fold;
The first part is as "Super" noted, make sure the oil level in the differential is not over-filled. The oil should be about one-half inch below the fill cap.
The second solution is to replace the rear inner axle seals. This procedure has already be explained, that is if you like to do a lot of work to accomplish the job.
National, and a couple of other seal company's use to make an external seal that slipped inside over the axle and into the axle housing. The drum was then reinstalled, the problem was solved.
I have used these external seals many times in years gone bye.. Unfortunately they are no longer available, that is with one exception..
A couple of years ago this topic came up, one of the contributors stated that Don's Antique Auto Parts in Fremont CA... 510 792-4390 had seals that were similar to the National #6510..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

David J    -- 12-01-2014 @ 9:44 AM
  If your rear end is overfull your driveshaft seal is shot or INSTALLED BACKWARDS !!!!!! This has been beaten to death on Fordbarn and the number of folks that thought-think backwards is right on this seal was AMAZING . The seal is behind the driveshaft bearing and is supposed to keep oil in the u-joint . This means seal lip towards the tranny . The axle seals also have a lot of folks that think backwards is right . They are meant to keep oil in the differential so the lip goes towards the differential . All 3 of these seals are the same . I use SAE 140 in steering , tranny , u-joint and rear end with no issues to speak of . This is in 33-34's only but the stuff is basically the same .

supereal    -- 12-01-2014 @ 4:25 PM
  The seal at the front end of the torque tube leaks because the roller bearing allows allows the drive shaft to move against the seal lip, particularly if the sleeve race is worn. Putting the seal in backwards certainly doesn't help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7959