Topic: 8BA/3 speed OD into 48 Tudor

Mike in SD    -- 11-26-2014 @ 9:58 AM
  59A cracked in my 48 and no luck finding a replacement but can get a '50 8BA & 3 speed OD. What are the problems and possible solutions to install the tranny with the wishbone frame?

All comments welcomed and thanks in advance - Mike

Stroker    -- 11-26-2014 @ 11:42 AM
  The 8BA engine won't be a problem, although you will likely need to retain your 48 exhaust manifolds. The overdrive transmission is much longer which precludes installing in your frame,so you will need to find an adapter ring such as the one used on 48 trucks in order to bolt up your existing 48 trans.

cliftford    -- 11-26-2014 @ 12:29 PM
  As Stroker pointed out, this is a fairly simple conversion, and a common one. Additionally, you would need to use 48-51 truck or 49-50 Merc. water pumps so tne engine mounts would fit and the top radiater hoses are smaller, so they would need to be adapted to fit your radiator. Other wise, its pretty much a bolt up installation.

supereal    -- 11-26-2014 @ 3:11 PM
  The main difference is that your '48 has a closed torque tube drive shaft, while the '50 is open. You could use a truck pinion assembly, but will have to split the rear wishbone to use the transverse spring. It would be easier to use the '50 rear end and springs, along with a modified drive shaft. The rear end gearing must be considered in view of the OD. We did one of these for a customer a couple of years ago, and it isn't a simple job.

trjford8    -- 11-27-2014 @ 8:40 AM
  If the rest of your existing running gear is in good shape you can adapt the 8BA to the stock drive train. Use the truck water pumps and the truck bell housing to mount up to your existing trans and you are good to go.You can now buy upper water necks that will match the diameter of your upper radiator inlets.

wmsteed    -- 11-28-2014 @ 10:45 AM
  Swapping an 8BA/8CM 49-53 engine into a pre '49 vehicle is a very simple task providing you use '49-50 Merc, or '48 later truck water-pumps with a bell-housing from a '49-50 Merc or a truck.. Both of these water-pumps have the engine mount ears, whereas the '49 + Ford cars do not.
You will need the '48 exhaust manifolds.
The OD trans is as "Super" pointed out a really big deal requiring modifications to the frame and rear suspension.
I have attached a pix of the 8BA engine in my friends '37 Ford, I've done several of these..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

cliftford    -- 11-28-2014 @ 2:38 PM
  Something else no one has mentioned; besides the bell housing adapter, you will need the piece that goes on the lower front of the adapter to bolt the starter to. They sometimes show up on ebay, or maybe someone seeing this has one.

Stroker    -- 11-28-2014 @ 3:27 PM
  Mike in SD: As you can see, there are a few details that have been listed by our Forum contributors that tend to "add up" to your proposed swap. One additional one is the need to
provide a discharge outlet for the breather pipe, as the 8BA outlet will interfere with the
front crossmember. You might consider that finding a replacement 59A block will, (in the long run) save you time and money. In addition, if your car is ever judged it will not lose points.
I've done this swap on a 38 (which also required moving the radiator forward about an inch).
I don't think it is worth the trouble.

TomO    -- 11-29-2014 @ 7:26 AM
  Depending where the crack is, you might be better off having it repaired. Here is a site that sells materials to stitch a crack closed.

http://www.locknstitch.com/fix_cracked_engine_block.htm

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7948