Topic: Flathead Running Too Cool?

Jim    -- 11-21-2014 @ 2:08 PM
  I have a 36 Ford with a 59AB engine, dual exhaust Fenton headers and Smitty mufflers and a new radiator. There are no thermostats. On a 70 degree day, maximum running temp is 155 degrees. On an 85 degree day (not too many of those in northern Wisconsin it will never run over 170 degrees. A fellow V8 member says it is running too cool and I should put thermostats in. My question is: Are my running temps too cool? If I should add thermostats, what is the recommended type? And I'm presuming they would go in the head, spring pointed toward the engine. Finally, my temp gauge is a quality aftermarket sending unit. I have the stock gauge, but rely on the aftermarket to see the actual temp. Any suggestions?

ken ct.    -- 11-21-2014 @ 4:13 PM
  Yes I would run thermo. 180 deg with the big openings. Don't know the # of them but ask on the Fordbarn you will get the # there. ken ct.

Stroker    -- 11-21-2014 @ 4:16 PM
  Jim: Most of the posts on this forum are in reference to flatheads that don't cool properly. That said, 155-170 is not hot enough to ensure efficiency.

Any internal combustion engine will operate at a better efficiency level when the temperatures are 180 deg Fahrenheit or above. The problems associated with lower operating temperatures include combustion inefficiency, and the removal of by-products of combustion. One of the primary combustion by-products is a mixture of sulfuric acid and water.

The lower temperatures that you are experiencing will allow these bi-products to accumulate in the engine, and contaminate the lubricating oil in the oil pan. As you can imagine, sulfuric acid is pretty destructive to any metallic component in your engine. Higher temperatures tend to allow these bi-products to be removed via the engine's breather system.

cliftford    -- 11-22-2014 @ 10:55 AM
  If you want to know accurately what temp. your engine is running,when it's warmed up good take a laser thermometer and check the heads, thermostat housings, radiator top and bottom tanks, etc., This will tell you how well your cooling system is functioning as well as operating temp. I agree that the optimum operating temp. is around 180 degrees. This little device is a good investment. It's good for a number of things when working on old cars.

supereal    -- 11-23-2014 @ 1:23 PM
  Put a good thermometer in the top radiator tank to confirm the temperature. An infrared heat gun is a useful tool, but the color of the target can skew the readings. Most flatheads will reach above 180 degrees without thermostats during idling or highway driving.

Jim    -- 11-24-2014 @ 2:20 PM
  Thanks for all the good advice. I'll order some thermostats and put them in next spring. I suspected it must be too cool as my spark plugs seemed to get sooty rather quickly. Appreciate the help!

Drbrown    -- 11-24-2014 @ 10:14 PM
  I vote for stats also .... I would think you'd especially appreciate them during your winters there.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7937