Topic: 52 clutch

vtrod    -- 11-19-2014 @ 12:20 PM
  Have a 52 with low milleage, 40k, but has sat for some time. There is some clutch chatter when starting off, particularly on an up slope. Is there a chance that this can work itself out or do I need to replace clutch?

This message was edited by vtrod on 11-19-14 @ 12:22 PM

fla48    -- 11-20-2014 @ 6:59 PM
  If the chatter is not bad, I would live with it. The materials used in today's clutches will guarantee you will have some clutch chatter. There are several threads on this subject. Good luck.

TomO    -- 11-23-2014 @ 4:34 PM
  Try setting your idle to 475-500 RPM. That should help the clutch chatter if there is no oil or burned material on the pressure plat or flywheel.

If you have to replace the clutch, have the pressure plate rebuilt by Fort Wayne Clutch in Fort Wayne ,IN.

If the flywheel is not score or caked with burned material, clean it with scotchbrite pads, otherwise have it refaced.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-23-2014 @ 5:33 PM
  Some things you might try are to squirt some white vinegar or Fuller's Earth on the clutch disc. Broken or weak engine or transmission mounts can contribute to clutch chatter.

vtrod    -- 11-25-2014 @ 1:45 PM
  Thanks, all good info. I think I will live with it for a while, I almost think it is getting better!!

Stroker    -- 11-25-2014 @ 3:50 PM
  Sometimes clutch chatter can be traced to whomever drove the car previously. Clutches like to be engaged with "purpose" and not allowed to "cycle" during engagement. I doesn't matter what brand of vehicle, or whether the pressure plate is a Long, Borg & Beck or more modern diaphragm types.
We often inherit the previous operators tentative foot movements.

supereal    -- 11-26-2014 @ 3:16 PM
  Be sure that there isn't a rear main seal leak. The usual problem with any clutch is contamination of the lining with oil. Also, check the condition of the motor mounts. If they are oily or hardened, you problem can be related.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7931