Topic: heater knob

40merc    -- 02-11-2010 @ 10:43 AM
  does any one know where to get a reproduction heater knob? PN 01A-15122B

this is an auction i found on ebay, the guy wants 60 bucks for it which sounds high to me.

also is this the real heater control unit , or was its original use for some other factory option part?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-Ford-Mercury-NEW-Hot-Water-Heater-Switch-Knob_W0QQitemZ150411511680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2305398780

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-11-2010 @ 11:13 AM
  HI 40MERC
I would try finding a member in the FORD V8 CLUB roster and see if they can e-mail you a picture of a restored heater,
or maybe a memeber will post a picture,
as far as the $60.00 knob,
who made it how much did it cost to make it,
if it is right, it might be a bargin,
would it complete your heater switch?
Dennis Carpenter, has many knobs, I do not know if he reproduces the one you are looking for,but you could call them and see if they do,
hope this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon    -- 02-11-2010 @ 12:01 PM
  You asked a couple of questions:
1. I just checked a couple of the usual suspects. They have earlier and later knobs but not one with the 01A part number.

2. The earlier or later repro ones go for around $7.00.

3. None of the available knobs look like the one you have a picture of so I believe it might be the 01A part number. It would appear to be a heater knob. I know of no other purpose for a switch marked as that one is.

My heater, which is correct for either 41 or 42, has a knob with a big H on the front of it. On the side it is marked S F Indirect on the left, OFF in the center, and F S Direct on the right.

Keep in mind you are only looking at the knob not the control unit. That unit is a drum switch mounted on the back of the heater bracket and has connections for four wires that provide power and control the direction of the heater fan. There also is a place in the center of the control unit for a light bulb to illuminate the knob.

If the guy was offering the control unit plus the knob I would say the $60 might be a fair price.
Ted

40 Coupe    -- 02-11-2010 @ 2:15 PM
  Larry makes a very nice reproduction of the 40 heater knob. The general appearance of the hot water heater knob and the hot air heater knob are the same but there is a difference, because the switch is different. Make sure you get what you need. As for the price if it completes your 1000 point restoration it is a small price to pay. Larry also sells various other hot water items.

kubes40    -- 02-11-2010 @ 2:20 PM
  Larry Caplan sells VERY nice reproduction '40 knobs. It is unlikely find them elsewhere. I have used ones cheaper if that would do. Like the others have stated if you are doing a complete restoration, go for the $60 knob.
Mike Kubarth

RG/NJ    -- 02-12-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  Hi 40 Merc; I have an original hot water heater and switch in my original 40 Ford and it looks exactly like the one on ebay.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=792