Topic: 1934 gas gauge

JDBenner    -- 11-13-2014 @ 5:17 PM
  I would like to repair the gas gauge on my 1934 cabriolet. What is the best way to get to the top of the tank to get at the sending unit? I can see about 3 different ways, none of which look particularly easy. I hope someone who has done this type of repair has some suggestions. Thanks for any help.

David J    -- 11-13-2014 @ 6:29 PM
  The rectangular hole in the drivers side rear is where the cover goes for the gas tank hookup . It is held down with one screw . Yours will be the same as this [ 33 cabriolet ] one .

JDBenner    -- 11-14-2014 @ 6:30 PM
  Thanks. I can see the cover but it seems like the rumble seat cover is in the way .Do I have to take that off to get at it?

David J    -- 11-14-2014 @ 7:14 PM
  If your car has been apart in recent times slide the pins out of the hinges and take the lid off . Wide open then .

CharlieStephens    -- 11-14-2014 @ 8:27 PM
  "Thanks. I can see the cover but it seems like the rumble seat cover is in the way .Do I have to take that off to get at it?"

Can you remove the seat cushions and crawl into the rumble seat and close the lid?

Charlie Stephens

JDBenner    -- 11-15-2014 @ 9:00 AM
  Thanks to all who replied. I think I can get at it by propping the lid at a certain angle. Otherwise, I'll close the lid and crawl through the seat area.

drkbp    -- 11-15-2014 @ 7:06 PM
  Prop the rumble lid top forward a little and the hatch is exposed. When you tighten the air line you want the fitting at the sending unit to not leak. Be sure the threads on the sending unit air line connection are clean and in good condition.

If the gas tank is not empty when you assemble, connect the dash air line after you load new fluid. Be sure air line is clear of any fluids by pumping air through it unless it is new. The red fluid is corrosive so be careful loading the dash gauge and check it for fluid leak.

These gauges work great when assembled properly. If there is a very slight leak in the air line you will notice the gas gauge will increase the fuel reading as you drive. The sending unit reintroduces air into the air line by motion of the car. Pretty slick set-up for '32 to '35.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7914