Topic: Water Out The Exhuast

V8JR    -- 11-12-2014 @ 10:09 PM
  1948 Ford - Have dual exhausts with no crossover pipe. Have small amount of water coming out the right side exhaust pipe. No water from the left side. Have to add a small amount of coolant after 50 miles or so. Any ideas on the cause and ways to troubleshoot? Thanks for any help - V8JR

cliftford    -- 11-13-2014 @ 12:28 PM
  Possibly a head gasket leak. or[lets hope not] a crack in the block or head. Is it missing? If so with the engine running short out the right bank plugs one at a time. If the engine reacts differently on one plug,that cylinder is suspect. If one plug looks clean compared to the other three, that cylinder is suspect. You might also do a compression check. Hope this helps.

V8JR    -- 11-13-2014 @ 8:10 PM
  Doesn't seem to have a miss and runs strong - I'll try suggested troubleshooting- Thanks - V8JR

supereal    -- 11-13-2014 @ 8:22 PM
  We see a lot of condensation as the weather gets cooler. If one side of duals produces more than the other, it is likely a restriction or a pipe pitched toward the engine allows a collection of normal moisture to build instead of being blown out by the exhaust, producing more obvious water. As for adding coolant, it may be due to overfilling the radiator. If I add coolant to my '47 cold above the bottom of the filler neck, natural expansion will force it out the overflow. If the car is running well, try letting the coolant seek its level before adding more.

cliftford    -- 11-13-2014 @ 9:11 PM
  One more thing; I assume you are using antifreeze in your cooling system. So are you seeing water or antifreeze coming out the exhaust? If its water then its probably what superreal said. If its antifreeze then its probably an internal engine problem, as stated before.

silverchief    -- 11-16-2014 @ 8:23 AM
  A small amount of water spits out of the duals on my 45 until it gets hot. No indication it is anything other than normal condensation. What about this previous suggestion of drilling an 1/8 inch hole in the forward area of the mufflers to allow collected moisture to drain out - good idea?

Drbrown    -- 11-16-2014 @ 5:56 PM
  Regarding drilling small hole(s) in bottom of muffler, I have always done that and think it helps prolong the life of the muffler.

My '47 has old smitty mufflers and I get noticeable condensation out the exhausts until the system gets hot. I suspect that a common paper towel held at the exhaust exit would indicate if (colored) anti-freeze was coming out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7913